1. You are viewing our forum as a guest. For full access please Register. WindowsBBS.com is completely free, paid for by advertisers and donations.

win98 accessing win2000

Discussion in 'Networking (Hardware & Software)' started by azkitchen, 2002/01/18.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. 2002/01/18
    azkitchen

azkitchen Guest Thread Starter

I have networked my win2kpro computer with my win98SE through a router. I can access the internet (cable) from both computers. I can fully access my win98 computer from my win2kpro computer.
    HOWEVER, when I try to access my win2kpro computer from my win98SE computer I receive the following message: You must supply a password to make this connection. Resource\\user1\IPC$. (user1 is my win2kpro computer name) then it asks me for a password.
    I have tried many things but have been unsuccessful. Does anyone have a solution to this situation?
    Thanks!
    Nathan

2. 2002/01/18
    Scott Smith

Scott Smith Inactive Alumni

you have to share the folders or drives that you want to be seen on the Win2k machine.
    In case you didn't know how, in Windows Explorer right click on the drive or folder you want to share and choose sharing. Self explanitory from there.

3. to hide this advert.

4. 2002/01/18
    azkitchen

I believe I am set to share which is why I can't figure this one out. My C drive is set to: Share this folder; Share Name: C$; Comment: Default Share; User Limit Maximum allowed; Permissions states that this has been shared for administrative purposes and the permissions cannot be set

Any Ideas? Thanks

5. 2002/01/18
    Scott Smith

yea the user you logged on as doesn't have admn rights?

Try adding a new share from that screen. I just tried it and it worked.
    I was going to e mail you some screen shots but you don't have an e mail listed.

Last edited: 2002/01/18
  6. 2002/01/18
    azkitchen

I went to administrative tools and double checked to be sure that the user I am logged into on win2k is in the admintrators group, and it is a member of the Administrators group... anything else I can check?

Thanks, I did what you said and now the drive C: is shared, (hand is on the C: icon) But the 98 computer is telling me i still need a network password

7. 2002/01/18
    Scott Smith

Make sure the share permissions for that share has everyone in it.

Sorry, I don't have a 98 machine here to play with.
    Just XP pro, Win2K Pro, And Win2k Server.

Last edited: 2002/01/18
  8. 2002/01/19
    azkitchen

ssmith10pn: you are brilliant! I am now able to access my win2k machine from my win98 machine! Thanks!! The funny thing is that I tried several things at once and am not sure what it was or what combination of things I did that actually did the trick..so it will take me a few days to logically sort out the process. I appreciate you taking the time to get me through and succesfully access my win2k machine! :)

9. 2002/01/19
    Scott Smith

no problem!
    Maybe we both learned something.

10. 2002/01/21
    jscroggs

jscroggs Inactive

\\Computer\IPC$

I've got a user that's trying to setup a home network with the exact same configuration (Win98SE and Win2k) and he is getting the exact same error, so if you can possibly give me a listing of some of the things you tried to get it fixed I would be thrilled. I've tried everything listed here already, so a miracle answer (do they exist? :confused: ) would be a real blessing. Do you have an account setup on your Win2k machine that matches the initial logon of your Win98SE machine? Both computers are in the same workgroup, permissions are set, files are shared, and I've got no clue what's left to do. Thanks for the help!
    Jeff

Nevermind! I found that by setting up the account on the Win2k computer it took care of the IPC$ prompt and went straight into the shares. Thanks!

Last edited: 2002/01/21
  11. 2002/01/21
    Mike Murley

Mike Murley Guest Thread Starter

As I posted over in the Win 2K forum I've got the same problem (except its between a Win 2K machine and a Win ME machine).

I followed the advice and this thread, but I'm not doing something right.

I can't even get the ME machine to be able to browse the network.

Mike Murley

12. 2002/01/21
    Mike Murley

Mike Murley Guest Thread Starter

Figured it out

Doh!

You have to set up a 'user' with the same name / password as the other computer on the Win 2K computer. Helwig's site (www.helwig.com) shows it, though my 'Admisistrative Tools' are different in layout than his screen shots.

Once you set up that 'user', then you set its permissions re: the Win 2K machine.

I can now browse my Win 2K machine from my ME machine, and have my HP DJ 882c set up as a network printer (its physically on the Win 2K machine - I had to d/l the 'corporate' driver from www.hp.com as the install disk won't work when you try to use the printer driver from it).

My problem was that the Admin tools weren't on the start menu, so I had to fo into the start/task bar settings and add them.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.