1. You are viewing our forum as a guest. For full access please Register. WindowsBBS.com is completely free, paid for by advertisers and donations.

Resolved Win7 Sound erupts to loudest

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by Egir, 2016/08/01.

1. 2016/08/01
    Egir

Egir New Member Thread Starter

Hello all,

I wonder if someone here could help me. Most Win7 users seem to experience a problem with sound dropping. I have the exact opposite problem and from one day to the next it has become very annoying and potentially dangerous.

I am running Windows 7 Home premium, 64-bit. A couple of days ago, very suddenly, without any action/installation/ updates on my part, the sound started randomly "blowing up" when playing any kind of multimedia, including online streaming. All volume indicators remain at the level set, but the sound itself would suddenly jump up to the maximum. So, for example, streaming a youtube video at 50% volume and having the main volume set at 40%, the sound would burst to its loudest from time to time. The same with other videos on other websites, vKontakte music streaming, and offline - with VLC player, WinMediaPlayer and the like. Games seem unaffected for now.

Tweaking the settings in the 'Sound' properties has had no effect (although I am willing to try any combination that might possibly work). Updating the Realtek HD driver to the latest available also has done nothing to resolve the situation. The problem persists. The OS has become unusable for anything that includes sound, and is now a health hazard to all (as it creates deafening sound eruptions), especially to my father who has a heart condition.

Egir,
  2. 2016/08/01
    Bill

Bill SuperGeek WindowsBBS Team Member

Ummm, no we don't Most users don't have sound problems - but to what I suspect is really your point, users with sound problems typically have stuttering sounds. Either way suddenly blasting you out is not very common.

But I have seen it before. And if I had to guess, I would say it is your speakers, not the computer. Or likely the "pot" - the potentiometer (the "gain" or volume control) - similar to a variable resistor, that is going bad. And instead of attenuating the gain (amplification), it is allowing full amplification. Depending on the speaker capabilities, it could certainly harm your hearing. And no doubt it would scare the %(*^% out of me too and I don't have a heart condition - that I know of. It could also damage the speaker drivers (the part the moves the cones in and out) and/or the cones.

This assumes there is a volume control on the speakers and it not solely controlled by software. You might try (warning your dad first) twisting the volume control back and forth a bunch of times. This can sometimes clean the contact areas of built up carbon and dust. If dirty, you typically hear a bunch of crackling sounds. This is best done with the speakers/amps turned off, but then you cannot tell if you are doing any good. :rolleyes:

It is not uncommon when the volume control sits in the same spot for very long periods of time - years even, as is common with computer speakers. We set the volume we want, then leave it. If the pot contacts are worn, this cleaning may help a little, but is also typically a temporary solution. But also if worn, you can often play with the Windows settings and the speaker's volume control to say, put the main Windows volume up to 80% and then the speaker's volume down to 1/2 of what it was to equal it out.

Otherwise, borrow some other speakers from another computer and see if it happens with them too. You really do need to isolate the problem to your computer, or the speakers before troubleshooting much further.

Bill,

3. to hide this advert.

4. 2016/08/02
    Egir

2 Bill

Thank you! This is a great idea. My mind didn't go there. You're right, we set the volume where it works for us and then largely leave it untouched. In case it doesn't fix things, please don't close this thread yet, but I'll check and tweak as soon as I get home.

Egir,
  5. 2016/08/05
    Egir

You were right, it seems it was indeed a speakers problem. I have tweaked the volume wheel, and played around gently with the cables, and the sound is now once again normalised. Problem solved. Again, thank you so-so much for the insight!!

Egir,
  6. 2016/08/05
    Bill

Bill SuperGeek WindowsBBS Team Member

Great! Glad it is sorted out. But note unless some connection was obviously only half way inserted or some similar issue, this problem will likely happen again. That is, if due to wear and tear, cleaning the contacts of the volume control will not repair that wear and tear. Just trying to avoid any soiled pants. ;)

Bill,