1. You are viewing our forum as a guest. For full access please Register. WindowsBBS.com is completely free, paid for by advertisers and donations.

Win XP

Discussion in 'Firefox, Thunderbird & SeaMonkey' started by Jaws3, 2002/01/07.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. 2002/01/07
    Jaws3

Jaws3 Inactive Thread Starter

Hi All
    Am busy setting up a second machine with Win XP Pro to familiarise myself with XP.
    Current desktop machine is N4.76 with W98.
    If all goes well, will I be able to use Netscape with XP and import my email and bookmarks ?

2. 2002/01/07
    Ramona

Ramona Geek Member Alumni

You shouldn't have any problems with Netscape on your new Windows XP OS. You might want to download and install Ver. 4.79. It has a few enhancements added, since 4.76 came out.

Here are some steps to use when transferring the files from one PC to another:

Install Communicator on the new computer and run it once to create a user profile. Use the same name as the existing Profile on the old PC

With Netscape closed:
    Open Windows Explorer on the old computer.
    Click theC:\Program Files\Netscape\Users\yourusername
    Copy the folder.

If you have no Zip drive or CD-RW drive, and you have to use floppy disks, these are the files you should copy:
    bookmark.htm
    cookies.txt
    prefs.js
    liprefs.js
    pab.na2 (all files with *.na2)

On the new computer, close Netscape and open Windows Explorer.
    Copy the files from the floppy disk to the C:\Program Files\Netscape\Users\yourusername. Windows will tell you that these files already exist and will ask if you wish to overwrite them. Select Yes to this question.

If you have storage media other than floppy disks, then simply copy the entire Users folder. That will include the Mail & Newsgroups. You can then replace the entire Users folder on the new PC. I would also suggest copying the Plugins folder.

Note: if you copy the Users and/or Plugins folder to CD, zip the folders first. If you don't, the file attributes will change to "Read Only ", and you will have to delete the attributes on all your files, once transfered.

If you have more questions, please feel free to ask.

Ramona

3. to hide this advert.

4. 2002/01/08
    Jaws3

Jaws3 Inactive Thread Starter

Thanks Ramona
    Appreciate your detailed answer. Especially the tip to ZIP my files when stored elsewhere.
    I had run into that problem before when Nestcape wouldn't allow me back in after files were restored.
    Thanks again.

5. 2002/01/09
    Antony

Antony Inactive

Jaw3,
    When you copy your Netscape profile as Ramona suggested, I recommend you not to copy the cache sub-folder.

If you restored files from CD-rom directly, you will have a small problem of file attributes. You will have to change the file attributes. You can change all files' attributes at once.
    Also, Netscape 4.7x will not correctly show WinXP string. Netscape 6.2 (above) has better integration with WinXP, such as replacing IE's space and displaying un-read messages (in indox) in WinXP log-in screen.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.