1. You are viewing our forum as a guest. For full access please Register. WindowsBBS.com is completely free, paid for by advertisers and donations.

Win 98 sec booting problem

Discussion in 'Legacy Windows' started by rocknroller, 2012/02/08.

1. 2012/02/08
    rocknroller

rocknroller Inactive Thread Starter

I have an older computer with several programs that are not compatable with later versions of Windows so I need to repair the issue at hand which is that the system will not boot into the desktop.

I get the following message repeatedly.
    1. Boot from atapi cd rom
    2. Disk boot failure
    3. insert system disc and press reboot

The system keeps this message on the screen with the cursor blinking and all I can do is either shut it down (which it will do in a normal shutdown procedure) or either use control + alt + delete which will reboot the system back to the screen described above, but still will not boot into windows 98 as it should.

I have done this several times but still continue to get the above message.

It has been quite a while since I have worked with win 98 and a mistake would be very costly, so I am requesting someone in the community that is familiar with a problem such as this to address and advise me about correcting this problem.

Please contact me with any questions and/or suggestions at any time convenient to you.
    Thank you in advance for any assistance.

It will be greatly appreciated....thanks.....rocknroller

2. 2012/02/08
    MrBill

MrBill SuperGeek WindowsBBS Team Member

Sounds like there is a disc in the drive that shouldn't be there.

3. to hide this advert.

4. 2012/02/09
    retiredlearner

retiredlearner SuperGeek WindowsBBS Team Member

Hi, if this is an older machine that has not been in use for some time, there may be dirty connections and dust in the works.
    I would suggest disconnecting ALL connectors and cleaning and blow out with an air supply. Make sure fans are not allowed to spin up as they can exceed their designed RPM's considerably.
    I use a plastic pen of small diameter to hold the fan while using compressed air.
    Once completed, try booting into Safe Mode (usually F8) and see if it will run in Safe Mode.
    You may be able to correct any problems while in Safe Mode. Neil.

5. 2012/02/09
    rsinfo

rsinfo SuperGeek Alumni

Also check the BIOS to see if the hard disk is detected correctly. You may have to change the battery if the system is really old.

6. 2012/02/09
    markp62

markp62 Geek Member Alumni

Your computer cannot find anything to boot off of.

1. Boot from atapi cd rom

It is trying the CD and not finding a bootable CD. In some cases you also see a series of periods appearing, prompting you to Press A Key for the CD to boot up.

2. Disk boot failure

That is your hard drive. Not to actually say your hard drive is the problem. It can a simple thing as the problem mentioned by rsinfo.
    Information about the drives configuration is stored in the CMOS for the BIOS to use when trying to boot the computer. It uses a battery to store this information when powered down.
    There should be a watch type battery about the size of an American nickel or larger located on the motherboard. I would just replace it for it's age is unknown.

7. 2012/02/10
    lj50 Lifetime Subscription

lj50 SuperGeek WindowsBBS Team Member

It's a CR2032 Lith-ion 3v battery also referred to as a coin battery. Commonly used in certain protable medical equipment such as Glucose Testing meters.

lj50,
  8. 2012/02/15
    rocknroller

rocknroller Inactive Thread Starter

Gentlemen, thanks so much for all the suggestions and each one is well taken. However, I have tried them all with no luck. Just to refresh my memory, didn't windows 98sec have a repair/install function choice available or was it just a choice asking if you wanted to do a clean install or perform the upgrade from windows 98 to windows 98 second edition? I can't remember that far back. Also if anyone knows of a repair disc available that will correct the error or let me boot on into the desktop..... ( I, too, believe it is a corrupt or missing file causing all the trouble) If such a disc or program is available, I'll bite the bullet and order it and then if any of the members need it, I will be glad to share it. I wish that I could just do a complete re-install of the win 98 sec but there are programs on the HD that will not run on XP or win 7 and I don't have the installation discs anyway so that option is not available. Anyway if you will, please scratch your heads and see if anyone can remember a solution to this problem.
    Thanks again to all the members...you guys are the best....rocknroller....

9. 2012/02/15
    markp62

markp62 Geek Member Alumni

The following will only help if you have access to a working floppy drive and a hard plastic 1.44 MB floppy disk.
    http://www.bootdisk.com/bootdisk.htm
    Download the file for your version of Win98 OEM. Insert a floppy into the drive and then run the downloaded file. The file should run on any windows machine. A bootable floppy will be created for you.
    If you copy the file onto the floppy it isn't going to work.
    Then boot the computer with it. Choose without CD Rom support for this. Enter in these commands. The first command will appear to do nothing when done correctly. I do the first command three times when I suspect severe corruption as it copies the current version as a backup each time.
    Code:
    fdisk /mbr
    sys a: c:
    This should repair the master boot record as best as Fdisk is able, and transfer startup system files.
    This may also tell you if the partition is not accessible, as you'll get errors.

Win98 will install over itself, but you need to tell it to do so. During the installation process, it will ask if you want to install to C:\Windows001, just change the path to C:\Windows, then answer the danger prompt.

10. 2012/03/12
    oldntryn

oldntryn Inactive

My concern is how the system came to the point of wanting to boot from the cd?
    usually that is the last boot option when starting are you fimiliar with ESC key when
    you start to boot getting into the cmos ? Look at the boot order and see what the boot
    order shows ? You should have had a diskette made along time ago to boot from in case
    of problems, I pretty sure, unless the system tried 1ST to boot from disk and then it may
    or may not have tried to boot from diskette befoere asking for what is usually the last boot
    option is the a CD. And usually about any diskette with the sys files for your win98 ver
    should atleast get you up to see your system & hard drive(s) and diskette drive(s)

oldntryn