1. You are viewing our forum as a guest. For full access please Register. WindowsBBS.com is completely free, paid for by advertisers and donations.

Win 8 support ends next week.

Discussion in 'Legacy Windows' started by MrBill, 2016/01/10.

1. 2016/01/10
    MrBill

MrBill SuperGeek WindowsBBS Team Member Thread Starter

2. 2016/01/10
    lj50 Lifetime Subscription

lj50 SuperGeek WindowsBBS Team Member

Thanks MrBill interesting read.

lj50,

3. to hide this advert.

4. 2016/01/10
    retiredlearner

retiredlearner SuperGeek WindowsBBS Team Member

Just reminding those who did not install W8.1 update to finally make up their minds. Same as applies to XP users who don't want to upgrade.
    We don't expect Model T Fords to keep up with Safety and Emission Regs in todays environment. Great to remember-but not safe to use today. Neil.

5. 2016/01/11
    Bill

Bill SuperGeek WindowsBBS Team Member

It should also be noted the free upgrade to Windows 10 can only be made from Windows 7 and Windows 8.1, not Windows 8.

Bill,
  6. 2016/01/11
    fdamp

fdamp Well-Known Member

I'm still considering selling my Dell laptop and switching to an Apple machine, but probably not an iPad. I like a bigger screen than my wife's iPad. I dislike Win 10 intensely.

7. 2016/01/11
    MrBill

10 is a slight improvement over 8. Liked them both.

8. 2016/01/11
    retiredlearner

I have no problem with W10 Home and Pro or Insider Builds. I like the OS and have no trouble finding my way round.
    It's faster and more Secure and I just can't dislike any part of it so far. :D Neil.

9. 2016/01/12
    hawk22

hawk22 Geek Member

Hi Neil,
    Sorry Neil, I have plenty to dislike about 10.
    Huge gripe about Groove for starters, absolutely useless, can only play music from Music Folder, can't Rip CD to Folder only positive, it can play FLAC, can't play DVD or blu ray.
    No mobile USB Internet compatible with 10 in Australia. The list goes on and on, I actually use a old XP machine to stream my music. Older but expensive photo editing software not compatible with 10.
    I can't think of one thing that I would like about 10, not very often would you get something of value for free and this is certainly not one of them.

(Thanks for the Link Neil certainly amazing)

10. 2016/01/12
    retiredlearner

Hi Bill, thought you might enjoy the absolute ingenuity that went into that project.
    I'm disappointed you don't like Groove-after all it is only a "Music Player ". (works great on my comp)
    If you want to "rip" CD's-you have WMP.
    If you want to play DVD's you need to install VLC or similar.
    by this do you mean WiFi connection to the Internet?
    https://crowdsupport.telstra.com.au/t5/Mobile-Broadband-KB/Telstra-USB-and-Windows-10-Incompatibility/ta-p/485835
    As was explained by MS last year-there are many software programs not compatible with W10 due to the program developers not getting up to speed.
    It would seem to be a matter of getting the Aussie Telcos to pull the proverbial. Neil.

11. 2016/01/12
    hawk22

hawk22 Geek Member

Hi Neil,
    Well Groove, is only a half baked Music player, you can not play a CD, you need a second music player to rip the music to "My Music folder "
    and only then you can use Groove to play it. I have a dedicated program dBpoweramp for ripping and batch converting as I only use FLAC loss-less audio format.
    Instead of having one dedicated music system you need 3, that in my book is going backwards instead of forward.
    In regards to the Mobile USB internet yes it is the slack system here, I had contacted my ISP and all I got was, yes sorry keep checking. Yes the link is to Telstra our biggest one I am with Optus but same story.
    What that actually means is that our Telecommunication system is not compatible with Windows 10. Sorry state of affairs but true.
    42ºC here today.
    Cheers
    Bill

12. 2016/01/12
    retiredlearner

Our Telco's keep up to the forefront with Kiwi's Broadband needs so we have no problem with compatibility.
    MS removed Media Centre and made available alternatives from the Store.
    We've had 20°C up until mid-afternoon and now we have 13°C and windy conditions. We don't have to worry about air/con at the moment-just put a jersey on when it gets colder. ;) Neil.

13. 2016/01/12
    Bill

Well, Groove is an add on. Not fair to criticize W10 for that. It is like saying you don't like Windows 10 because the calculator is different. And no mobile USB Internet compatible with 10 in Australia is not Windows 10 fault either.

14. 2016/01/13
    hawk22

hawk22 Geek Member

Not quite like that Bill, Groove does nothing on its own, it depends 100% on input of another program. A different looking Calculator still does the same job, just looks and feels different.
    Neil there is no useful alternative to Media Centre in the Store.

In regards to the mobile Internet, I get what you are saying, but I believe the problem is still with MS and 10, I know millions wouldn't agree with me but I firmly belief that our Telcos no small companies by any imagination, plus stacks of other companies simply feel that it is not worth the expense to upgrade software just for a very limited amount of time, 10 will go like 8, here today gone tomorrow, we had 8, 8.1 then 10, just not worth the effort.
    Simple solution if you want reliability change to Mac, I will after 7 and 8.1 are discontinued by MS.

15. 2016/01/13
    Bill

Groove Music still is not and NEVER was intended to be an operating system function. Neither was Media Player. It is simply a tool or utility included in Windows for your convenience in the same manner as the Calculator, Backup and Restore, Notepad, Calendar and more - all "basic" tools you can easily replace with 3rd party options.

Even if you don't like Windows 10 new desktop and start menu, there are alternatives for that to make it look and feel like W7 or even XP.

So? Nothing says you have to get everything from the Microsoft Store. There are alternatives out there including MixRadio (which is at the MS Store), Rhapsody, VLC Media Player, Media Player Classic - Home Cinema, GOM Player and more.

The job of an operating system is to facilitate communication between the various hardware components of the computer and support compatible software. And W10 does that very well, and more importantly, it does it more securely than any previous version of Windows.

Plus, W10 takes advantage of the latest advances in hardware technologies to improve speed and performance and to further improve security.

Is it perfect? Of course not? With an estimated 40 million lines of code in Windows 10, of course there will be some "bugs ".

Steve R Jones likes this.
  16. 2016/01/13
    Arie

Arie Administrator Administrator Staff

I had to see, so I popped a CD in my drive. Windows 10 asked me what I wanted to do, I told it to open with WMP.

That still has an option to RIP CD.

Attached Files:

17. 2016/01/13
    Bill

But that suggest you upgraded to W10 from W7 or W8.x "Pro" and had WMP already installed. For W10 Home users, they don't have WMP unless they purchased it separately before.

18. 2016/01/13
    MrBill

I have a new laptop with Win 10 Pro and it is on there already. Wife's laptop with Win 10 Home has it also. Was on the PC when we bought them.

19. 2016/01/14
    Bill

Sorry, I confused Windows Media Player with Window Media Center. I try to stay ahead of Microsoft's confusing naming schemes (Outlook, Outlook Express, Outlook.com; Windows Explorer, File Explorer, Internet Explorer; Windows Defender not to be confused with the other Windows Defender! :(). But this time I forgot it was Windows Media "Center" that was not in W10 (or Windows 8).

Difference between Windows Media Center and Windows Media Player

Sorry if I caused more confusion.

20. 2016/01/14
    MrBill

No different that other things. Ford Explorer, Escape, Expedition, Edge. Focus, Fusion, Fiesta.

They all make it weird.

21. 2016/01/14
    Bill

At least those are different names.

I note in particular, there are two different Microsoft programs currently available called "Windows Defender ". Windows Defender the anti-spyware program that works with Windows 7 and before, and Windows Defender the anti-malware program that works with Windows 8/10.