1. You are viewing our forum as a guest. For full access please Register. WindowsBBS.com is completely free, paid for by advertisers and donations.

Resolved Win 7 and USB 3

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by rikki, 2016/06/23.

Tags:
  1. 2016/06/23
    rikki

rikki Well-Known Member Thread Starter

I have installed an Asus notebook with 64-bit Win 7 Ultimate. This computer model, F452e (part of the X or F 450 range) is not common. It has a 1 gig duo-core AMD K16 CPU and the Kabini motherboard. The BIOS is EUFI and has been upgraded to the latest version for this model. All official Asus drivers and updates have been installed. The USB ports can be switched between USB 3 and USB 2 and I have set them to USB 2 because of the problem with Win 7 not having native support for USB 3.

My question is where can I find drivers to get USB 3 working on this computer with this OS, or what software do I need to achieve this? There seem to be several solutions for this with Intel motherboards but I have not been able to find anything for this particular hardware. Any assistance would be much appreciated.

2. 2016/06/23
    rsinfo

rsinfo SuperGeek Alumni

Switch to Win10. Painful in the short term but good in the long term plus it supports newer technologies & peripherals.

3. to hide this advert.

4. 2016/06/23
    rikki

Thanks but I have reasons for preferring Win 7. If that means having to put up with USB 2.0 I am prepared to accept that but I am hoping someone has a solution.

5. 2016/06/23
    retiredlearner

retiredlearner SuperGeek WindowsBBS Team Member

The Notebook has 2 USB 3.0 and 1 USB 2.0 ports? It was originally running W8.1 64bit? If you want the USB 3 ports to work why not get the W8.1 drivers and see if that enables them. Neil.

6. 2016/06/23
    rikki

The Notebook has two USB ports that can be set (together) for USB 3 or USB 2 in the BIOS. I assume it originally ran W8. I bought it without a drive. I suppose it would be worth trying the W8 drivers but I would not know how to acquire them.

7. 2016/06/23
    TonyT

TonyT SuperGeek Staff

Open Device Manager > Universal Serial Bus controllers
    Does it list the chipset manufacturer for the USB controllers?
    It may say NEC or ASMedia or some other name. If so, what's the name?

The Windows 8 or 8.1 USB3.0 driver for your comp may or may not work. It's contained within the chipset download for that laptop at the ASUS site. You'd have to extract it and try to upgrade the USB driver via Device Manager. However, Windows has built in driver protection and the upgrade may fail or if successful the comp may crash after the next reboot. If so then you'll need this MS Hotfix:
    https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/2816159
    which is also included in the Windows 8 or 8.1 chipset download.

Last edited: 2016/06/23
  8. 2016/06/23
    rikki

It was a bit of an ordeal, but I got it. I finally found the right driver by searching on my APU type. Asus was useless and so was AMD. I had to thread through many dead ends so I can no longer remember exactly where I found it, but the package name is sp61462 if anyone else wants to search for it. I think it might have been on an HP or Lenovo site, or possibly a drivers site. I ended up collecting downloads in many places before trying them. I started with the one that seemed most likely, and that was the one that worked.

rsinfo likes this.
  9. 2016/06/23
    TonyT

TonyT SuperGeek Staff