1. You are viewing our forum as a guest. For full access please Register. WindowsBBS.com is completely free, paid for by advertisers and donations.

Win 10 Upgrade from Win 7 - Can I do it easily?

Discussion in 'Windows 10' started by KAL, 2015/08/19.

1. 2015/08/19
    KAL

KAL Inactive Thread Starter

My notice just popped up that I am good to go with scheduling my free upgrade. BUT I am very nervous. Will it be just a simple download and then I am off and running? Or will it require more knowledge.

I was/am a diehard XP user and purchased another laptop with Win 7 installed so I could slowly transform. That is working well. Then, with this Win 7 laptop I thought I should go ahead and sign up for the Win 10 upgrade for security reasons that 10 provides.

After glancing at some of the other posts on the forum, I am nervous about doing it if it will require much more than downloading and installing the update. I only say that because the whole format of 10 is so unfamiliar and different than XP.

Please offer your opinions.

KAL,
  2. 2015/08/19
    PeteC

PeteC SuperGeek Staff

FWIW - I upgraded both my desktop and laptop from 8.1 to 10 a couple of weeks back without any issues.

3. to hide this advert.

4. 2015/08/19
    lj50 Lifetime Subscription

lj50 SuperGeek WindowsBBS Team Member

You have until July 29, 2016 to install the Windows 10 Free upgrade.

lj50,
  5. 2015/08/19
    retiredlearner

retiredlearner SuperGeek WindowsBBS Team Member

Hi KAL, I would advise anyone taking up the offer to Upgrade to W10, that they ensure their current OS (W7/8.1) is running smoothly and that all drivers are updated and caches are cleared so there will be a better chance of a clean Upgrade and transition taking place.
    Like Pete has stated - I have 4 Drives running W10 flawlessly.
    I joined the Insider Preview W10 Program and used an SSD and a 'spinner' HDD to try W10 on.
    They both received 'build' updates as they were constructed and the whole experience was as smooth as.
    My HP 1000 Notebook (W8.1) has been Upgraded to W10 and my main comp has also been Upgraded from W8.1 to W10 on a 250GB SSD without any hassles.
    So far there have been around 30 updates from MS over 21 days, the majority being Defender Security info.
    I'm very happy with W10 in all the drives and having been with it since last year I can honestly say I've had no problems. It's been Flawless.
    My thoughts are likened to a car - make sure you keep it tuned well and running free of troubles before upgrading the engine.
    You have till July 2016 to make your decision - no need to rush in. ;) Neil.

6. 2015/08/20
    Bill

Bill SuperGeek WindowsBBS Team Member

What it really requires is a chunk of your time. Depending on your computer, drives and Internet connection, it can easily take an hour to complete. And I recommend when prompted, you select the Custom setup option (not sure it is called "Custom" but you want to avoid "Express ") unless you want to share a bunch of information with Microsoft and various apps.

On two of my systems, the final reboot took over 5 minutes with a black screen that had me worrying. But eventually it came out of it and now all is okay.

Bill,
  7. 2015/08/20
    KAL

KAL Inactive Thread Starter

Thank you all for your support and input.

Neil, you are flying high over my head. I am not that advanced to know exactly what you are talking about, but I get the point. All is working well. However, will CCleaner be enough to clear out the caches? Or what do you recommend?

Bill, my dsl is Frontier and am sure it will take much much longer to get everything done because I am in the boonies.

I think I will wait for a little while in case there are some bugs from MS that need worked out with the download. Plus I can do more research and pay more attention to this forum so I know what to look out for.

KAL,
  8. 2015/08/20
    Bill

Bill SuperGeek WindowsBBS Team Member

CCleaner works great and is one of favorite programs. Or use Windows Disk Cleanup which is already on your system.

Even if your DSL is slow, it is fast enough - and certainly much faster than dial-up.

Note that millions and millions have already downloaded and installed successfully. You can certainly wait but the odds are your upgrade will go well too.

Bill,