1. You are viewing our forum as a guest. For full access please Register. WindowsBBS.com is completely free, paid for by advertisers and donations.

Resolved Win 10 Ugrade Won't Let Me Keep My Apps

Discussion in 'Windows 10' started by wjburl, 2015/07/30.

1. 2015/07/30
    wjburl

wjburl Well-Known Member Thread Starter

I have two towers running WIn 8.1 Pro, a laptop running Win 8.1 Home and an HTPC running Win 7. I downloaded the 64 bit .iso image and built a flash drive with rufus. I ran setup.exe on the flash drive on one of the towers and that worked. I start an Upgrade on my laptop and came to the window "Choose what to keep ". It has the statement "You can't keep Windows setting, personal files, and app because you're installing an edition of Windows that's different that the one you're currently using ". All my computers are running 64 bit versions and I thought the Win 10 install was smart enough to determine whether to install the home or enterprise version. It's the same install .iso that I successfully upgraded my Win 8.1 Pro to Win 10 Enterprise. If there is another .iso for the Home version, what is the link to the site.

2. 2015/07/30
    retiredlearner

retiredlearner SuperGeek WindowsBBS Team Member

Hi wjburl, Please check W10 Forum for the info you require. There is a link to MS W10 OS's and what you will get to Upgrade your qualifying system.
    If you are currently using W8.1 Pro 64bit - you will get W10 Pro 64bit - it cannot be used for universal upgrade unless the comp is using the Identical OS. Neil.

3. to hide this advert.

4. 2015/07/30
    wjburl

retiredlearner, that was one of the problems. I had built the flash drive on one of the Windows 8.1 Pro computers. I have also tried to do the upgrade Installing Windows 10 using the media creation tool both doing the installation directly and having it build a usb flash drive on the computer to be upgraded. Using both methods, it goes thru downloading up dates, giving a choice on what to keep, etc. and starts the install. After a few seconds, it gives a message that the install failed.

Last edited: 2015/07/30
  5. 2015/07/30
    Evan Omo

Evan Omo Computer Support Technician Staff

Hi wjburl. Was there any other information during the Windows 10 installation other than saying that the installation of Windows 10 failed? Did you make sure that you didn't have any programs that weren't compatible with Windows 10 installed?

6. 2015/07/31
    retiredlearner

Hi wjburl, I have followed the info in this link to Upgrade to W10 Pro 64bit and it took 55 minutes. I'm using W10 now. How to make sure your free W10 is activated

I downloaded Windows 10 Installation Media creation tool as shown in the link and it proceeded from there.
    I was asked to confirm (during the install) whether I wanted retain Files and Personal Data (one of three options) and I accepted and it continued. I haven't lost a thing and W10 has just updated my Nvidia driver to the new W10 approved one automatically-no hassles.
    I read an article that itemized the procedure for a error 80240020 Failure to install W10.
    Did you get that error code? Neil.

7. 2015/07/31
    wjburl

I did get the error code when I checked the updated history in the control panel, but not during the installations via the media creation process. I have been successful in upgrading one of my towers. It went smoothly. I still have another tower to do, but I'm going to wait a while a month or so to do that one and make W10 doesn't have too many glitches. I'm not going to upgrade my HTPC using W7 until I can find a good substitute for Windows Media Cent that I use with my cable card for DVR purposes. The tower I upgraded, had WMC and it warned me I would lose that app, but I knew that before I started. I don't have any apps on the laptop that I did not have on the tower that I can recall. I've decided to try a clean upgrade this weekend and not save any settings or apps on the laptop. I schedule weekly disk imaging on all all my computers. I can easily revert back at anytime. I noticed that the upgraded tower hasn't been able to activate yet, so I'll have to pursue that.

8. 2015/07/31
    wjburl

I sat down to do a clean upgrade on the laptop and the control panel update window was open with another failed message. I checked the error and it was WindowsUpdate_80070003 error. A suggestion in the Microsoft Commumity was to delete the .edb log reboot the computer and try again. I'm giving it another try.

9. 2015/07/31
    wjburl

Failed again with the same error.

10. 2015/07/31
    Evan Omo

Are you performing a clean install of Windows 10 or are you installing Windows 10 using Windows Update on Windows 8.1?

11. 2015/07/31
    wjburl

I was using the Windows Update on 8.1. I ran SFC and it found errors, but couldn't correct them. I may have to do a clean install and possible a factory reset, but I's rather not have to reinstall all my apps. Since SFC found errors, I'm going to run a Spintite test to check out the disk.

12. 2015/08/01
    Evan Omo

13. 2015/08/01
    wjburl

Evan Omo, I looked at the site you mentioned. The date and time are correct, I did the procedure outlined in sugesstion #2. I downloaded the Mr. Fix it tool from the link on that page and the message said it was for another Windows version. None solved the problem. My oldest image saved is from last September. I'll restore that image and if that doesn't work, I'll do a factory reset. I bought the laptop before W8,1. If I do the restore, it will be W8. Should I have to do any updates before I try the upgrade to W10?

14. 2015/08/01
    Evan Omo

15. 2015/08/01
    retiredlearner

Hi wjburl, I have 2 comps and a laptop running W10. Yesterday I used the WDT and Downloaded the ISO and Burned to DVD.
    I put the disc in the laptop (HP 1000 Notebook Aug 2013 originally W8 which was Updated to W8.1 and ALL updates) and just followed the instructions and 1 hour later it's running W10 and was automatically activated.
    My 2 desktop units also activated automatically - you don't have to go through activation unless you reject the offer during installation.
    I have not lost any Data/Files/Apps during this W10 upgrade and have found it trouble free with these 3 units. ;) Neil.

16. 2015/08/02
    wjburl

retiredlearner, my upgrade on a W8.1 tower installed and runs great, except I can't get it to activate. I get and activation error message "Error code: 0x8007232B ". That computer had a retail Win 8.1 with WMC.

Last edited: 2015/08/02
  17. 2015/08/02
    retiredlearner

I found this answer:
    Lot of users including preview Insiders had this problem and this was supposed to fix it. Neil.

18. 2015/08/02
    lj50 Lifetime Subscription

lj50 SuperGeek WindowsBBS Team Member

Neil: Are there two different keys one for Home and another for Pro?

19. 2015/08/02
    wjburl

I mentioned earlier that my desktop install wouldn't activate. I rolled back to W8.1 and it is activated. I checked the update history and there were 14 failed Windows 10 Pro Upgrade entries. So I'm having 2 out of two upgrade experiences. BTW, the desktop is a custom build. Out of four of my PCs, only the laptop is an "off the shelf" product.

20. 2015/08/02
    retiredlearner

lj50, I'm not aware of more than one Product Key being given to Activate the Windows Preview Insider W10 Builds.
    As I understood it when this Insider program was offered - just the 1 (one) Key was shown which was to be used by all Insiders for all versions. Neil.
    wjburl, I built this comp I'm using now and the W10 install was via the WU download. My lap top was an install from DVD I burned from the ISO download route. BOTH were auto activate without hassle. Neil.

Last edited: 2015/08/02
  21. 2015/08/03
    wjburl

retiredlearner, I did an image restore of a Sept. backup I'm waiting until MS sends me an upgrade notification via the W10 request icon on the task bar. When I get the notification, I'll proceed from there.