1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. You are viewing our forum as a guest. For full access please Register. WindowsBBS.com is completely free, paid for by advertisers and donations.

WiFi for Windows 98/Dell Dimensions 4100

Discussion in 'Legacy Windows' started by JeffNY, 2013/10/06.

1. 2013/10/06
    JeffNY

JeffNY Inactive Thread Starter

Computer Experience:
    Experianced
    Hi Everyone,

My friend Ray has a Dell Dimensions 4100 with what appears to be an early (original?) release of Windows '98 (can't find a version number).

We want to buy a PCI WiFi board on ebay to put in it so he can use his hot spot (a smartphone) to connect this old PC to the internet. Should there be any issue in doing this? Yes I know there be issues using the dated web browser, Java, etc. But a 802.11g board should be compatible with the old PC and new smartphone? Should the PCI board come with drivers for '98 and the card and work Ok?

Might try a USB PCI card too but it looks like we need to update to a later (or last) version of Windows '98 to get support/drivers for that? Are there any free updates to the last version of '98 online we could download (once we have internet on this PC)?

Thanks,
    Jeff

PS Machine info: "Dell Dimension XPS T550 Setup "...
    BIOS Version A04, Pentium III, 550 MHz, 512 KB cache, 256MB RAM (2x128MB SDRAM)

2. 2013/10/06
    retiredlearner

retiredlearner SuperGeek WindowsBBS Team Member

Computer Experience:
    intermediate
    Hi Jeff, there are USB drivers available for W 98 SE. So you may have a problem sourcing Drivers methinks. Windows 98 you will need to Google as there is a need to establish whether it's an A or B version (if my memory serves me correctly).
    I have a HD with 98SE on it and I Downloaded and installed the USB enhanced host required to run USB2.0.
    Give me a day and I will set it up and see if I can get the info for you. Neil.

3. to hide this advert.

4. 2013/10/06
    retiredlearner

Computer Experience:
    intermediate
    Read this thoroughly!
    http://www.technical-assistance.co.uk/kb/usbmsd98.php

http://www.raymond.cc/blog/how-to-install-usb-mass-storage-device-on-windows-98/

I think these 2 links will give you the procedure to follow for USB.
    As I said in my 1st. Post, there is a distinct difference between W98 & W98SE.
    You will need your OS CD. When I updated my 98 OS, I used the SE upgrade and followed the instructions and all went sweetly.

You will need a Floppy Drive and Discs.
    WiFi will only work with Windows 98SE! Neil.

Last edited: 2013/10/06
  5. 2013/10/06
    JeffNY

Computer Experience:
    Experianced
    Thanks for the help and information. I'll check it out. I don't know if he still has the original Windows '98 CD, but if he does i see the SE update on ebay for around $25. Otherwise $65-$80 for full install disk :( Jeff

6. 2013/10/07
    SpywareDr

SpywareDr SuperGeek WindowsBBS Team Member

Computer Experience:
    Experienced
  7. 2013/10/07
    JeffNY

Computer Experience:
    Experianced
    We found out Rays computer already has a USB port! And Windows '99 "4.10.1998 ".
    Windows Version
    USB Info

I am trying to help him remotely. He lives out in the country far, no broadband cable available. But he has a WiFi hot spot (and Bluetooth data link) on his smart phone. Are trying to get his PC connected to the internet. Even if just for email and limited web access.

Doc, thanks for the link to the old versions of Windows. I have a MacBook, if I download one or some of them and burn them to a CD would he be able install it with a serial/registration number? Would you guys recommend Windows Second Edition or Windows ME?

Thanks,
    Jeff

8. 2013/10/07
    MrBill

MrBill SuperGeek WindowsBBS Team Member

Computer Experience:
    Inter and still lear
    That shows that he has Windows 98 not 99 and it is NOT 98SE.

9. 2013/10/08
    lj50 Lifetime Subscription

lj50 SuperGeek WindowsBBS Team Member

Computer Experience:
    Experienced Learner
    Did you check to see what is going on in Other Devices yellow Question Mark along with exclamation point. PCI Communications Device. Were there any devices that were plugged in that are not now connected? Are there any compatibility issues. Is there something not enabled in the BIOS? Or am I way off base. If I am my apologies.

lj50,
  10. 2013/10/08
    JeffNY

Computer Experience:
    Experianced
    >>That shows that he has Windows 98 not 99 and it is NOT 98SE.<<

Yes, knew that. That's why I mentioned above the update/install CD's on ebay. But if we could get them for free on the linked page above that'd be great. But I was also curious above "Would you guys recommend Windows Second Edition or Windows ME? "

>>Did you check to see what is going on in Other Devices...<<

LJ, the objective here is to put a PCI WiFi board in this old PC so it can get on the internet. But I am worried the version of Windows '98 my friend Ray has may not support the "drivers" he needs for the PCI WiFi board (I saw a Belkin PCI WiFi board that required at least '98SE). But I am trying to see the best option to get this old PC on the internet, and be sure if we buy a PCI WiFi board it will actually work when we put in it (ie the software in Windows will support it....do we really need "SE" to get a WiFi board working? ...are we better off to just go ahead and update to "SE" or Windows ME before we get the board? ...is his old computer fast enough (and have enough memory) to handle "SE" or "ME "?).

Thanks,
    Jeff

11. 2013/10/08
    SpywareDr

SpywareDr SuperGeek WindowsBBS Team Member

Computer Experience:
    Experienced
  12. 2013/10/08
    lj50 Lifetime Subscription

lj50 SuperGeek WindowsBBS Team Member

Computer Experience:
    Experienced Learner
    Thank you for the answer. Again my apologies.

13. 2013/10/08
    retiredlearner

Computer Experience:
    intermediate
    I see you're getting lots of help Jeff. Use Windows 98 SE. Don't touch ME, it was very unstable when I tried it.
    You should be able locate drivers for SE hardware - it may take some time.
    As I pointed out earlier, when you identify what version your mate has installed, you can Download the appropriate USB Drivers.
    You will need to Upgrade to SE version, but I would be very wary of a FREE upgrade unless you knew the guy personally. Cheers Neil.