1. You are viewing our forum as a guest. For full access please Register. WindowsBBS.com is completely free, paid for by advertisers and donations.

Resolved why window10upgrade28090.exe stop at 92%

Discussion in 'Windows 10' started by FuzMic, 2017/09/13.

1. 2017/09/13
    FuzMic

FuzMic Well-Known Member Thread Starter

Hi guys

This window update many say sucks when i search the web; plenty on the same boat to nowhere. Now my turn to face the silent music without a clue whats happening; help before i do something stupid.

I got into this position because of a notification from windows 10 saying i am using an old version of win10 (not sure what version & what next ms will do) & unless i update i can't get security updates. Then on clicking to upgrade it stop at 92% and it proudly say that only 1sec left. The way things are going (some activity in the harddisk), this will go on forever.

I can of course cancel it but that is not what we expect from Microhard. So guys any better idea?

By the way too many major upgrades on win10. I think it is killing its product's confidence in the market eg email app have problem with yahoo mail.

But first thing first, got to upgrade now because i missed the 1st aniversary, now another major upgrade "Fall Creator Upgrade".

I just notice that it is doing a 2017-09 Cumulative update for win10 download (7% in 30 min), is this the 1st aniversary or it is just security updates. CONFUSED!!

Last edited: 2017/09/13
  2. 2017/09/13
    PeteC

PeteC SuperGeek Staff

Yesterday was Patch Tuesday (2nd Tuesday in the month). In addition to a cumulative update for Windows 10 (KB 4038788) there are a number of security updates for Office, Adobe Flash, Windows Defender (if you use it) and maybe more which do not apply to my PC's. If you are receiving this update it would imply that you have the latest version of Win 10 IMO. A day after Patch Tuesday MS's servers are working flat out and downloads are slow - be patient! I updated my PC, laptop and netbook this morning - roughly 2 hours to update all 3 - max transfer rate ~5.5 Mb/sec.

When that update is complete check Settings > Update & Security > Windows Update > Update History and see if you have KB4038788 and the latest security updates.

Also check Settings > System > About to determine the version of Windows 10 that you are using. For Windows 10 Home (after the current update) the version is 1703, build 15063.608

The Fall Creators Update will be available in October round about the 20th I believe.

3. to hide this advert.

4. 2017/09/13
    Christer

Christer Geek Member Staff

5. 2017/09/13
    Bill

Bill SuperGeek WindowsBBS Team Member

Windows Defender program updates will be downloaded and installed even if Windows Defender is disabled. And that's good because you can still use WD as a manual/on-demand scanner even if you have another real-time scanner installed.

Bill,
  6. 2017/09/13
    FuzMic

Trio, Thank you. Much appreciate your thoughtful advises.

I just check with winver & it shows my build version is 10586.420. On checking i think this Version 1511 or November Update. I think i am way back to reach the end point.

I also notice that it did not automatically update from v1511, one reason being i kept this laptop in hibernation for almost a year.

My first aim is to get to Version 1703 (Creators Update)

Should i use create dvd of the latest version from a download iso image and update with it? Whats is the best options? Should i use the Update Assistant at ms? :(

Last edited: 2017/09/14
  7. 2017/09/13
    retiredlearner

retiredlearner SuperGeek WindowsBBS Team Member

I agree with Pete. I started my HP notebook which is running W10 Home 64bit to check what updates were installed. I hadn't used the Notebook since 28/08/17 and KB4038788 and KB4038806 plus WD Defintions needed to be installed. Only took 20 minutes total to Download and install. Version 1703 OS build 15063.608.
    Do you have a lot of activity taking place in the background? All you can do is leave WU to try and catch up.

8. 2017/09/14
    FuzMic

Ok guys i finally found some confidence back with ms. Here is the sharing of my experience.

I download the Update Assistant (fast & easy) and let it download v 1703 (latest to date). Half an hour later, I had to do a restart of the laptop and when i try to use UA, it had to start from scratch. The good news however is it picks up the download from where i stopped.

From then i just let it download DL until it tells me that the DL will reboot. The whole process of download did take about an hours or more, not too bad for my standard because the process end successfully.

The next part: it starts to update with a number of self reboot. This took a little less than an hour. All in all, the update from v1511 to v1603 takes about 2 hours, still ok.

Conclusion: UA can do the job. The 2 hours is still ok but there is really no background work during the whole process.

9. 2017/09/14
    PeteC

PeteC SuperGeek Staff

Great news :) Bear in mind that the major upgrades such as Creators update are a 3-4 GB download, so a couple of hours is to be expected.

10. 2017/09/14
    FuzMic

Pete your 3-4 GB sums up my apprehension when there are too many of these major updates. I always have a fear that if the download or the update process fouls up, we have to spent some more hours on it without knowing where it takes us. Hence i always wanted to see these processes ending successfully. I also like to be about to visualise the route before start, thus the sharing earlier. Nobody like just throw a dice & hope for good number. Peace2u.