1. You are viewing our forum as a guest. For full access please Register. WindowsBBS.com is completely free, paid for by advertisers and donations.

Resolved Why am I now required to enter password at each bootup?

Discussion in 'Windows 10' started by BobbyScot, 2018/07/03.

1. 2018/07/03
    BobbyScot

BobbyScot Geek Member Thread Starter

I am now required to enter password at each bootup. Checked entry under netplwiz, box is unticked top left of window.

2. 2018/07/03
    retiredlearner

retiredlearner SuperGeek WindowsBBS Team Member

Try this:
    How to disable the lock screen in the Pro edition of Windows 10 Creators Update
    1. Right-click the Start button.
    2. Click Search.
    3. Type gpedit and hit Enter on your keyboard.
    4. Double-click Administrative Templates.
    5. Double-click Control Panel.
    6. Click Personalization.
    7. Double-click Do not display the lock screen.
    8. Click Enabled.

3. to hide this advert.

4. 2018/07/04
    BobbyScot

Thanks for response. Type gpedit in my case opens the net search panel.

5. 2018/07/04
    retiredlearner

Last edited: 2018/07/04
  6. 2018/07/04
    BobbyScot

I learn by not knowing. I read the various readers thoughts, in which I agree, why should MS decide as to ways my computer will function. I played around with netplwiz entries, entering user name and password in the section I was made to believe should be blanked out. As it turns out, my computer is back to what is required. No doubt MS will mess it up again soon with a monthly update and as others have said, we appear to have to little control in how our computer function. I believe in, if you get something for nothing, you have no say how it function. MS did say Windows will be free, catch is no full control of our computers.

7. 2018/07/04
    retiredlearner

I cannot agree with your various readers thoughts. I run a comp dedicated to W10 Pro 64bit "Insider Preview" version and receive a new build version on auto update nearly every week.
    Currently this computer has had 87 build versions installed on auto update without any problems!!! :D

This
    computer (I am using) is my main comp and has been cloned from an 500GB HDD to a 120GB SSD to a 240GB SSD and lastly to a 500GB SSD.
    I have had very little hassle through this whole time (4 years) with the operation of the OS.
    I receive Auto updates without problem, so I cannot agree with those users (who are very much in the minority) when they strike trouble and blame MS.
    If MBAM is used on a weekly basis, I find that the comps run sweetly.

I can only suggest that the WU may have minor conflicts with the extraneous software that some users have installed on their comps and that MS Policy would be to try and protect the system by switching back to Defaults.
    This may be why your Lock screen has suddenly altered.

Currently, this comp has a total of 21 Programs showing in Control Panel > Programs and Features and is operating 100% OK.
    Nice to see your comp is back to normal and remember, when you make a change in the OS you should always Shut down - then Reboot your comp to enable the change/s to take place.;)

8. 2018/07/05
    Christer

Christer Geek Member Staff

QUE?

Edited: You mean something "MalwareBytes"?

Last edited: 2018/07/05
  9. 2018/07/05
    BobbyScot

RL. I only write of my own experiences with MS updates. Each time, well most times find a change to my computer setup, as in this instance, Welcome Screen changing from no Pass word required at bootup to having to enter my Pass word. Checking netplwiz each time this happens, find the Box is now ticked. As this topic shows required seeking assistance. Box has again been unticked, resolving this error - but what is causing the issue? My "C" drive has installed only the OS software. Thanks for the assistance from members.

10. 2018/07/05
    retiredlearner

Bobby, when you made the change in netplwiz, did you have to verify by confirming your password and did you click on Apply before closing and Shut down the comp?

Yes Christer Malwarebytes = abbrev MBAM. Thanks.

11. 2018/07/05
    BobbyScot

RL, Yes, left password in on this occasion, and clicked apply. Previous as blank, (blank, as it was what I read to be correct). Recently, required to reinstall a few other programs that have become corrupted. One such program being HP Phoenix Control, required to switch off the LEDs front panel, but still requires partial manual switch off by clicking its desktop icon or to leaving LEDs permanently switched on. At least have some control as to ON or OFF.

12. 2018/07/05
    retiredlearner

Bobby, this link shows and explains the full process I was talking about:
    How Do I Sign In to Windows 10 Automatically? - Ask Leo!
    Once you have completed the process - you must Shut down the computer - then Start again for the change to take place. This is absolutely vital otherwise you will be chasing your tail in frustration. :eek:
    One job at a time.;)

13. 2018/07/06
    BobbyScot

RL, now finally cleared up, shows that user name and password required, with box unticked, final step a restart. Thanks for clarifying correct procedure. I have taken a note for future reference. What puzzles me, is what causing my settings to be changed. Bobby.

14. 2018/07/07
    retiredlearner

What puzzles me, is what causing my settings to be changed.

I still think this may be the answer.

15. 2018/07/08
    BobbyScot

RL, yes agree, but strange things are indeed happening with my setup, as it did today - figures I entered in LibreOffice yesterday, now appear to be different and have no comparison. Surprises, surprises, Bobby.

16. 2018/07/08
    retiredlearner

Need more explanation Bobby.
    Was it text you entered and Saved?

17. 2018/07/09
    BobbyScot

RL, My local weather temperatures where entered as 13c, on next Startup in LibreOffice writer on the following day, this showed as 22c. Time entered of 22:00, was changed by what? to 00:10. This now requires me to check previous entries for any changes. This does not happen every day, as my routine working with LO is constantly the same, Entry of text and Saved. Bobby..