1. You are viewing our forum as a guest. For full access please Register. WindowsBBS.com is completely free, paid for by advertisers and donations.

Resolved Which folder to find a web installation file

Discussion in 'General Internet' started by FuzMic, 2015/04/20.

1. 2015/04/20
    FuzMic

FuzMic Well-Known Member Thread Starter

Hi friends

This question has been in my mind for ages. Every time installing a program from the web eg panda free antivirus, it takes quite sometime to download before it start to install. It would be good if i can find that downloaded file and use it in another machine without downloading again. WHERE is it?? :D

2. 2015/04/20
    PeteC

PeteC SuperGeek Staff

Generally you have the option to Run or Save - select the second option and save to hard drive. Some programs download a small installer which, when run, then proceeds to download the full program to a temporary location prior to installation..

As to where the temporary installation file(s) are stored that depends on your OS and the file name may not be obvious or indeed usable. .....

Please enter your System Details. It helps us in answering your questions!

3. to hide this advert.

4. 2015/04/20
    FuzMic

Pete I have various PC so it involves various os. Perhaps try to tell me for xpwin & win7 will much appreciate.

The program does not have an option to save.

For xpwin, I try looking at the browser download, docs/setting>user>MyDoc>download, program files but no avail.

5. 2015/04/20
    PeteC

PeteC SuperGeek Staff

In Win 7 look in Users Temp files ...

Start > Run - type in the Run box %temp%

Same in XP I think, but I don't have an XP box to check.

6. 2015/04/20
    FuzMic

Thanks Pete, you seems to say temp is the key point for windows OS

7. 2015/04/20
    PeteC

PeteC SuperGeek Staff

That is correct - the program will be installed from a temporary download to the hard drive, not directly form the internet source. This also applies if the Run option as opposed to Save/Save As is selected - if offered.

However that temporary download is likely to be deleted from the temporary location once the program is installed - some remnants may remain.

Using Firefox I can save the initial installation file for Panda AV, but as it is only an ~1MB file it is clearly not the full program. I think you may be out of luck as far as Panda is concerned.

8. 2015/04/22
    FuzMic

I always checked the size, I only like large file

9. 2015/04/26
    TonyT

TonyT SuperGeek Staff

As stated above, some sites offer only a small file to download and when it runs it downloads the rest of the files. Adobe, Mozilla and Panda are examples. But these sites usually have a link to download installers for "other systems ". Clicking that link usually takes one to a page where one can get the full download. Mozilla sites have that feature. Panda does not.

Usually the files get downloaded to the user temp directory.
    On XP its is:
    C:\Documents & Settings\<username>\Local Settings\temp
    On later systems it is:
    C:\Users\<username>\AppData\Local\temp

These are hidden directories and files. If you want to copy the downloaded installation files you should first delete the contents of the temp dir, then run the small installer. That makes it easier to locate the downloaded files.

There are other places these files can be found. Sometimes the small installer will use Temp Internet Files dir.
    On XP it's:
    C:\Docs & Settings\<username>\Local Settings\Temp Internet Files
    On later systems it's:
    C:\Users\<username>\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Windows\Temp Internet Files\Content.IE5\string of letters & numbers\

This dir is also often used:
    C:\Windows\Downloaded Program Files

By default, most all modern browsers put downloads here:
    XP - C:\Docs & Settings\<username>\My Documents\Downloads
    Others: C:\Users\<username>\Downloads

10. 2015/04/26
    rsinfo

rsinfo SuperGeek Alumni

Even if you succeed in locating the download directory & the program I very much doubt it if you can run it. Most of such programs have a small file which pulls the program from the site & then install it. The downloaded files may not even be "exe" files or may need the original program to run.

11. 2015/05/04
    FuzMic

Thanks Tony & rsinfo for the sharing. :)