1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. You are viewing our forum as a guest. For full access please Register. WindowsBBS.com is completely free, paid for by advertisers and donations.

Resolved What's next for storage?

Discussion in 'Web Applications & Cloud' started by frayedknotarts, 2017/02/20.

1. 2017/02/20
    frayedknotarts Lifetime Subscription

frayedknotarts Well-Known Member Thread Starter

Computer Experience:
    Dumber than Dirt
    Not a lover of "The Cloud"... The concept leaves me cold when I think back on all those wonderful storage schemes (Image Station, for one) which just disappeared and took everything with them. I realize that I am being a "belt and suspenders" bloke, but I REALLY want a data storage scheme that I can control myself. I was delighted when the ZIP drive came out, even more delighted with CD-RW (Wow that's a LOT of storage!), and then DVD-RW was even more awesome. I haven't really progressed beyond that, and I'd like to know just what may be around the corner for hard storage.

Back about 4 years ago there was rumour of a 300GB disc from Sony but one supposes that there were production glitches with that as I only see BluRay for 25GB available.

Why no cloud? I make weekly backups to a separate HDD (external) but want to have something "solid" like a BluRay or DVD to store away for a year as archival files.

Anyone have info that I can operate with?

2. 2017/02/23
    SpywareDr

SpywareDr SuperGeek WindowsBBS Team Member

Computer Experience:
    Experienced

3. to hide this advert.