1. You are viewing our forum as a guest. For full access please Register. WindowsBBS.com is completely free, paid for by advertisers and donations.

What is Finder.dat?

Discussion in 'Legacy Windows' started by Alex Ethridge, 2002/02/28.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. 2002/02/28
    Alex Ethridge

Alex Ethridge Well-Known Member Thread Starter

Someone called today asking me what the Finder.dat file is in a lot of his folders. I did a search of the word "finder" in my Master Windows 2000 Server book and the word does not appear. I can't find anything about it on Google either.

What is this file?

2. 2002/03/01
    anand

anand Inactive

To copy a macintosh file into MS-DOS disk and back without loosing anything, the system creates in each folder two hidden items, a file named "finder.dat" and a subfolder named "resource.frk ".
    The data fork is stored in the normal folder, under the main name of the file.The resource fork is stored in the resource folder under a truncated name.

Bye,
    Anand.

3. to hide this advert.

4. 2002/03/02
    Alex Ethridge

Alex Ethridge Well-Known Member Thread Starter

That's helpful and will explain why finder.dat would be all over the internet; but, why would it be on a personal system that has never been exposed to anything Mac?

5. 2002/03/03
    shonuff12

shonuff12 Inactive

finder.dat

It would not have been there if the machine had no exposure to a mac. Keep in mind that even using windows ported progs, like word, etc etc, and transferring those files to a windows version of word would expose your computers to those files.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.