1. You are viewing our forum as a guest. For full access please Register. WindowsBBS.com is completely free, paid for by advertisers and donations.

What is a Gateway G6-300 worth?

Discussion in 'PC Hardware' started by mojo13, 2003/01/03.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. 2003/01/03
    mojo13 Lifetime Subscription

mojo13 Well-Known Member Thread Starter

What is a Gateway G6-300 worth?
    Component Description Drivers

Motherboard: MBD PII AST W/O HW MGMT R0 Drivers

Processor: G6-300 PENTIUM PROCESSOR

Memory: GW 64MB SDRAM DIMM Memory Module

Hard Drive: HDD IDE IBM 8.4GB UATA R0

Video Card: VID CRD STB M2 4MB AGP R1 Drivers

CD-ROM: CDR IDE TOS 13/32X W/OBZL R0 Drivers

Sound Card: CRD SND SB64V PCI R1 Drivers

Speakers: SPK WW BSA MICROMEDIA R0

Modem: CRD MOD US USR WIN X2 R3 Drivers

Operating System: Microsoft Windows 95 Drivers

Keyboard: Multifunction Keyboard Drivers

Mouse: MOU PST WW MSF IMO R0

Floppy Drive: FDD 1.44 PAN W/O BZL R3

2. 2003/01/03
    Rod

Rod Well-Known Member

Sorry to be the bearer of bad news, but it honestly isn't worth more than the component parts that may still be of some use to someone.

I had a similar Gateway System running Windows 98 that I was hoping to trade in when I bought my XP system last year. Gateway was willing to give me a $25.00 dollar recycling fee.

So, I formatted the hard-drive, reinstalled Win 98, put in a new CD burner and gave it to my oldest son and his wife as a gift. They thought it was great.

If you're lucky you might be able to find someone who's willing to give you a little something for it if they're looking for something to get started with, or tinker with.

With the market being the way it is these days, the day after you pick up your new system something bigger, better, and faster will come out making your's instantly obsolete.

:)

Rod,

3. to hide this advert.

4. 2003/01/03
    bubba169

bubba169 Well-Known Member

yeah I have to agree with Rod they aren't worth much unless someone just starting out needs one. If you have kids perhaps format it & install Win98 for them to use or practice networking on it (use it as a router). I have an AMD K6-2 400Mhz running Win98 as a "toy" to play with and a pent. 166 with 16Mb of ram I run Linux on just for learning purposes. That's how I learned about dual-booting, networking, etc... Just a few thoughts.

One other idea is use it as an MP3 player (That's my next project).

Bubba169

5. 2003/01/04
    Alex Ethridge

Alex Ethridge Well-Known Member

I bought a 500-MHz system about like yours except a 4-Gig hard disk from a customer just before Christmas for $40. I put it in my shop and priced it at $80. It sat there all through December and it's still there. I haven't even had one person ask about it.

Right now, it has a sure value of $5--that's what used floppies cost.

6. 2003/01/12
    Profgab101

Profgab101 Inactive

Mojo13 - if you still want info on your system I can help.

I worked for GTW warranty tech support for 2 1/2 years - I think I could guess the p/n's of those items.

Your system isn't worth a whole lot for a few reasons;

The special CDrom drive is not easily replaced - so any changes would have to use a LOWER BAY.

The MBD is based on an Intel 440LX PIIX4 chipset which runs @ 66MHz FSB - the fastest CPU it will accept is 333 unless you go with an Evergreen unit which is not W2K or XP compatable.

The AGP card has the Mpact II DVD hardware - drivers only up to W98SE as Mpact was bought out. I think you have the STB Nitro 4400.

The modem may be the real gem - if it is a 6000758 ISA. There are several others - check the actual card for the p/n - it will be 600xxxx.

Memory for this system is drying up - it tops out at 384Mb. (3x128)

The sound is an Ensoniq 1370 - aka Sound Blaster which is a great chipset.

If your looking to sell your best bet is to find a Linux user - the MBD/chipset rocks in Linux - the sound card is PnP - video is a Maybe?, but there is even support for that modem IIRC.

7. 2003/01/12
    mojo13 Lifetime Subscription

mojo13 Well-Known Member Thread Starter

Profgab101, thanks for the info.
    Actually, I am considering buying this system from a friend who has upgraded to a new computer over Christmas. I thought this maybe a good starter computer for my daughter. It does have a pretty decent size hard drive and it is a complete package. She has a lot of kids and very little money to spend on extras, like computers. I would consider an e-Machine but I've heard a lot of horror stories about those.
    I really don't think he will go under $200 for the system. Do you really think that is unreasonable?

8. 2003/01/12
    Alex Ethridge

Alex Ethridge Well-Known Member

Even if I were considering keeping and using it myself instead of reselling, I would consider $200 top dollar for an even faster machine than the 300-MHz I think this one is.

9. 2003/01/13
    Hex92

Hex92 Inactive

I wouldn't pay $200 unless it came with a monitor.

And even then I wouldn't buy it ;)

But then again I am obviously in a different financial situation.

10. 2003/01/14
    buzzard

buzzard Inactive

You can do better

mojo13, buy your daughter a better machine. You can do better for 200 bucks, just look around. Don't buy her a headache. Just my personal opinion. Good luck, Buzz

11. 2003/01/14
    Zephyr

Zephyr Inactive

Print this thread out and show it to your friend. No, on second thought, forget that...just tell him you have already made other arrangements. It isn't worth offending a friend over but he obviously thinks more of that hardware than it's actually worth.

Be :cool:

12. 2003/01/15
    bubba169

bubba169 Well-Known Member

Look here http://www.used-pcs.com/desktops/desktops.php for a general idea of what the computer costs. Most of these systems are Dells but if you can find one close to the same specs it will put you close to the ballpark. Personally I would buy a budget PC or perhaps build a Celeron or Duron PC. Look here for some prices http://www.pricewatch.com/

Bubba169

13. 2003/01/15
    Zephyr

Zephyr Inactive

You must also consider that AST (that particular MOBO maker) went belly up a few years back. A lot of their boards had proprietary chips. Gateway is usually good stuff but they do some slum shopping on occasion. If you're the original owner, you can get help from them but as a second party, you're a dead duck.

:)

Last edited: 2003/01/15
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.