1. You are viewing our forum as a guest. For full access please Register. WindowsBBS.com is completely free, paid for by advertisers and donations.

Resolved What has happened? to rename of a download file.

Discussion in 'Windows 10' started by BobbyScot, 2018/02/06.

1. 2018/02/06
    BobbyScot

BobbyScot Geek Member Thread Starter

I now find a download file, that changing wording or adding to it, now shows if carried out, "can render file not to function properly". If Enter is pressed, file shows as a "file image" and requests from a pop up to choose from a list to open the file. Has anyone come across this?

2. 2018/02/06
    Bill

Bill SuperGeek WindowsBBS Team Member

Millions of times. All the time. I am sure you have too, just don't remember.

If you have a Word document named file1.docx and you rename it to file2.txt, you will get an error similar to that. This is because of the "file association" in Windows. Windows knows that .docx files should be opened by Word. Changing the name (specifically, the file "type" - .docx to .txt) means that Word is no longer associated with that file type and it may no longer open correctly.

Same with image files, spreadsheet files and just about every other type of file that normally has a specific program it is opened by.

Bill,

3. to hide this advert.

4. 2018/02/06
    BobbyScot

Why is it now opening files in this manner? especially when none of the applications for doing this are not suitable.

5. 2018/02/06
    retiredlearner

retiredlearner SuperGeek WindowsBBS Team Member

What file did you download and what did you do to change/alter/add to it?
    If it's not too personal - can you show us an example?

6. 2018/02/06
    BobbyScot

That is the problem nothing has been added. An example is HP drivers show as sp86178, I like to rename adding description of what it does. Now it pops up the warning, which did not happen till today. This applies to all other files being renamed.

7. 2018/02/06
    retiredlearner

retiredlearner SuperGeek WindowsBBS Team Member

8. 2018/02/07
    Christer

Christer Geek Member Staff

This indicates to me that you use the setting to hide file extensions. If you change that setting to show file extensions, it should display the file as "sp86178.exe". If you rename or add to the name, like "HP-sp86178-printerdriver" and the ".exe" goes missing, Windows wouldn't be able to know that the file is an executable and you get that warning.

To do the change, open Control Panel > File Explorer Options > View Tab > uncheck the box for "Hide extensions for known file types".

After the change, does a file extension for the file show?

(Side note: Some mail programs do not allow executable files like *.exe or *.zip to be attached. To be able to do that, I rename the file extension to *.xyz (getting the warning in the process) and tell the recipient to rename it to the proper file extension.)

Admin. likes this.
  9. 2018/02/07
    BobbyScot

Settings has always been "Show Hidden Files". As said, no longer able to add wording using "Rename", something has changed this from happening.

10. 2018/02/07
    TonyT

TonyT SuperGeek Staff

You must use this setting, not "show hidden".
    Uncheck "Hide extensions for known file types"

11. 2018/02/07
    BobbyScot

Sorry, did not check correct "Hidden". Hide Extension File is also unchecked. I have found that if I type wording is placed before sp87168.exe, it accepts "Rename" alteration, and file opens normally.

12. 2018/02/07
    Bill

If you are suggesting previously you did not use a "file extension" (the ".exe" in this case), that may have been your problem

13. 2018/02/07
    BobbyScot

Do you mean, Bill, that .exe is best omitted after each file title?

14. 2018/02/07
    jholland1964

jholland1964 Well-Known Member

No, he is saying you DO need the file extension. What extension you need depends on the type of file that it happens to be. If the file is an executable file then the .exe Must be included in the name, if it is some other type of file then then applicable file extension must be included so that the computer knows what to do with the file and how to open it. If you don't have the file extension listed then you WILL receive the results that you received, the request by the computer to choose what to use to open the file.

15. 2018/02/08
    Christer

It seems that my "hunch" was spot on but not quite. Adding something at the end of a file name is actually changing the file extension. You can add almost "anything" before the last "point" but nothing after the last "point" can be changed.

An example is the Firefox files from Mozilla. The most recent one is "Firefox Setup 58.0.2.exe" and there are several "points" but what comes behind the last one is important. Firefox comes in two versions, x86 and x64 but the file name is the same. I download both for different systems and change the filename to "Firefox Setup 58.0.2 x86.exe" and "Firefox Setup 58.0.2 x64.exe" respectively and they run as they should.

In the "old days", as I recall it, spaces in file names should be avoided but nowadays, it seems to be accepted.

16. 2018/02/08
    BobbyScot

In old years of computer, we were in charge more or less of setting our computer's workings. The price for progress?

17. 2018/02/08
    TonyT

TonyT SuperGeek Staff

File name characters in windows:
    Naming Files, Paths, and Namespaces (Windows)

Multiple periods ( .xxx.xx.xxx.x.xxx ) can be used in a file name, the last string (file extension) determines the file type. Windows requires a file extension in order to associate a file with a program, Linux and Mac do not require the extension for associations.

Spaces are allowed in file names, however, for Web files, it's bad practice because Web browsers and some network clients will insert %20 in place of a space.

I have done, and still do a lot of Web work and got in the habit of using hyphens in place of spaces for Web files and for files on my computers.

18. 2018/02/08
    Christer

Thanks Tony, good information!

I also learnt (or is it learned) some English. I chose between "point" or "dot" for "." but you used "period". In my world, a "period" is something totally different ... :oops: ... !

19. 2018/02/08
    Bill

Right. I was asking if you included the .exe extension because it must be there (though it might be hidded).

And yes, point, dot and period may (as one of their meanings) all refer to the same thing, but when saying file names (including URLs) you say "dot". Like "filename dot exe" or "www dot google dot com".

Christer likes this.
  20. 2018/02/08
    Christer

Yes, of course, "dot com" sounds perfectly natural so why not "dot exe"!

21. 2018/02/08
    Bill

That sounds natural to me. Same with "dot txt" or "dot jpg".

"Period txt" or "point txt" does not sound natural to me.

"Dot com" is how most people say their email addresses so that is pretty common where "dot exe" is less commonly spoken in normal conversations.