1. You are viewing our forum as a guest. For full access please Register. WindowsBBS.com is completely free, paid for by advertisers and donations.

What Causes Network Adapter Drivers to Corrupt

Discussion in 'Networking (Hardware & Software)' started by Sloppyunderfoot, 2007/03/08.

1. 2007/03/08
    Sloppyunderfoot

Sloppyunderfoot Inactive Thread Starter

I get a lot of calls that require an uninstall of network adapter drivers. I've read that "bad packets" can cause corruption to the drivers. Does anyone know of what else may cause corruption to ethernet adapter drivers? Thanks

2. 2007/03/09
    ReggieB

ReggieB Inactive Alumni

The first thing I'd look at is the quality of the driver software. In my experience, cards and drivers from the likes of Intel, and 3Com don't have many driver specific problems. If you buy "cheap as chip" cards built for next to nothing, expect the driver software to be equally well put together.

If a driver was messed up by network packet content, it would have to be particularly poorly written software.

In general with networking, you get what you pay for. The more expensive kit is more reliable - that's what you pay for.

3. to hide this advert.

4. 2007/03/09
    TonyT

TonyT SuperGeek Staff

many things:
    1. poorly coded drivers
    2. improper shutdowns
    3. power surges
    4. other software (poorly coded)
    5. viruses & malware
    6. neglected disk maintenence

Remember, computers are NOT perfect devices. There is no such thing as an "absolute" in this physical universe, and computers are no exception.

5. 2007/03/09
    Sloppyunderfoot

Sloppyunderfoot Inactive Thread Starter

Thanks ReggieB and TonyT for your feedback. Both answers do not surprise me in the least. :) More supporting advice for why we need to purchase quality and take care of the "environment" for our computers. Your input is much appreciated.