1. You are viewing our forum as a guest. For full access please Register. WindowsBBS.com is completely free, paid for by advertisers and donations.

Resolved Website is Unresponsive in Google Chrome

Discussion in 'Other PC Software' started by virginia, 2017/02/26.

1. 2017/02/26
    virginia Lifetime Subscription

virginia Geek Member Thread Starter

My wife does significant genealogy research using Google Chrome with 7 or 8 tabs open at a time. One website where she searches quite often gives this message:
    Selecting the "Wait" option does nothing after waiting several minutes. If she selects "Kill" and then reopens the page it loads and all is well.

She is using PowerSpec desktop with Windows 10 Pro and 8GB memory. Pretty much does only email and genealogy research on line. No photos, videos, etc. My first thought is that it is a problem with the website (FindAGrave) since it only displays the message on that website. Or possibly memory or processor problems. I made a screenshot of the Task Manager with the 7 tabs open but just realized I don't know how to insert it into this thread.

I could try to move her to another browser or try to get her to keep fewer tabs open but I think it would be in my best interest to try to manipulate her computer to fix the situation - possibly another 8 or 16 GB memory. Any thoughts?

2. 2017/02/26
    PeteC

PeteC SuperGeek Staff

'Upload a File' - adjacent to Post Reply.

3. to hide this advert.

4. 2017/02/26

Thanks Pete - I was searching everywhere in the icons at the top. Didn't think to look in of the most obvious of places.

Attached Files:

5. 2017/02/26
    Evan Omo

Evan Omo Computer Support Technician Staff

Hi Robert. The computer has plenty of RAM so its not a low memory issue with Google Chrome. As a test, see if the website opens normally with just the one website tab open.

Also try using the website in Internet Explorer and see if there is any change.

6. 2017/02/26
    Bill

Bill SuperGeek WindowsBBS Team Member

This ^^^.

Don't assume it is your computer or Chrome. Try a different browser and see what happens. That said, the fact you specifically indicated the problem is happening with just that one website suggests it is a problem with that website. If you find it happens with IE or Firefox too, you might send a note to the webmaster of that site.

Bill,
  7. 2017/02/27
    TonyT

TonyT SuperGeek Staff

The Microcenter Powerspec specs are just fine.
    Perhaps there are searches in progress at the same time in multiple tabs, in which case the unresponsiveness will be caused by the server in that the database has a limited number of simultaneous connections. And even if not doing multiple searches at the same time the problem could still be a server issue. Here's how:

When you connect to a site there may be 8 or 10 separate connections to the site. Data gets uploaded and downloaded in separate streams then reassembled for viewing in the browser. During actual upload or download the connection is "Open". When completed, the connection is "Time Wait" for X amount of time then it becomes a "Closed" state. Open a command prompt while browsing and use the command "netstat -a" to see all the connections going on in their various states (open, time wait, closed).

The browser itself can regulate the allowed number of connections to any one server and also the server has configurations for the allowed number of simultaneous connections.

Firefox browser can be tweaked to allow any number of simultaneous connections to a server, Chrome and IE don't have that capability. However, setting that to a higher number may not do anything at all due to the server's own configurations.

Last edited: 2017/02/27
    virginia likes this.
  8. 2017/02/27

Thanks for all the responses. Tony T, yours was especially enlightening. I think the wife has decided to live with the occasional pop up from the one website rather than change browsers. I had hopes that there was a magic button but apparently not.