1. You are viewing our forum as a guest. For full access please Register. WindowsBBS.com is completely free, paid for by advertisers and donations.

Warning - Intranet Settings are now turned off ... Is this important?

Discussion in 'Internet Explorer & Microsoft Edge' started by Peter987, 2007/03/22.

1. 2007/03/22
    Peter987

Peter987 Inactive Thread Starter

I am using IE7.

Over the past couple of days a warning has appeared several times on my information bar. This warning started appearing when I began to install the Google Desktop Search. This is still being installed.

The message says:

"Intranet settings are now turned off by default. Intranet settings are less secure than Internet settings. Click for options ... "

I can't find where to click for the options, and I'm not sure that I would know which option to select. Is this warning important? My computer is connected to the Internet, but it is not connected to any local area network.

If the warning is not important, what should I do to prevent it appearing in the future?

- Peter987

2. 2007/03/22
    Whiskeyman Lifetime Subscription

Whiskeyman Inactive Alumni

3. to hide this advert.

4. 2007/03/22
    Peter987

Hi Whiskeyman:

Thanks for the link. I think I'll have to read the link a few more times before I understand it, and decide what I should do.

What's puzzling me at the moment is that the link says that the warning I referred to appears if I try to access the Intranet, but so far as I know I have not been trying to access any Intranet.

I have two external hard drives connected to my PC, but my PC is not networked in any way to any other computer.

All that I have done differently over the past couple of days is to attemt to install the Google Desktop search. Might this, in some way, be the reason for the warning.

- Peter987

5. 2007/03/22

I believe that the Google Desktop and IE7 do not like to play nice with each other. Microsoft is trying to force the use of MSN Search in IE7 by blocking other Search engines such as Google. I refuse to install either on my setup. Someone who has installed IE7 would have a better insight on this.

6. 2007/03/22
    Arie

Arie Administrator Administrator Staff

Sorry, but Microsoft is not blocking any search engine in IE7.

Arie,
  7. 2007/03/23
    Peter987

Thanks for your comments Whiskeyman and Arie:

I believe that the Google Desktop program has now listed most of my pages on my PC. It seeems to be working well. I have used it to search for a few items and it has produced results in less than a second It used to take over 5 minutes, sometimes, using Start>Search.

I'm still getting the message "Intranet settings are now turned off by default. Intranet settings are less secure than Internet settings. Click for options ... "

I get this message each time I do Search>All Programs>Google Desktop>Google Desktop Preferences. (I don't know whether or not this is the only action that produces the message.)

I still don't know:
    a) why I this message appears when, so far as I know I'm not using an Intranet.
    b) whether this message means that I should make changes to any of the settings on my PC.
    c) how to stop the message appearing.

- Peter987

8. 2007/03/23

Click the yellow bar with the warning and select Enable Intranet Settings. Check out the rest of the artcile about setting up the Intranet Zone.

Maybe blocking is too harsh a statement, but they are trying to force the use of MSN Search.

Google Is Your Default Search

The Search Battle For IE7

Last edited: 2007/03/23
  9. 2007/03/23
    bbbobins

bbbobins Banned

Google is not problem. It is best behaved of all toolbars.

In IE7 click tools, then internet options then security then local intranet icon.

then click sites then uncheck automaticly detect intranet....

make sure all the check boxes are checked.

the last one Include all network paths (UNCs) is what will fix your problem.

bob

10. 2007/03/23
    Peter987

Thanks Bob:

I followed your instructions - though I really didn't understand the options on the screen with the 'Include all network paths(UNCs)' message.

I've now done:
    'Search>All Programs>Google Desktop>Google Desktop Preferences' again and this time I didn't get the warning:
    'Intranet settings are now turned off by default. Intranet settings are less secure than Internet settings. Click for options ...'.

Peter987.

11. 2007/03/23
    bbbobins

bbbobins Banned

simple

we are saying we will trust all local folders like "c:\My Intranet Page" on my on computer.

and any UNC names like" \\wifes computer\her intranet page" on my local network (if you had one).

but not www http:// addresses (for Intranet)

bob