1. You are viewing our forum as a guest. For full access please Register. WindowsBBS.com is completely free, paid for by advertisers and donations.

Resolved W7 upgrade problem

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by Spanner, 2013/10/21.

1. 2013/10/21
    Spanner

Spanner Inactive Thread Starter

Upgraded to W7 from XP ok, did a' W7 upgrade adviser',using a W7 Installation for 'Refirbished PC's'' disk,increased RAM, updated driver for graphics, updated a few other drivers as suggested by W7 advisor.
    Started downloading other systems such as' Paint Shop Pro' and 'Windows Office' Got a message on a restart " Disk boot failure , insert system disk "

This started the installation all over again , with 2 options ( as before) Upgrade or Custom, tried Upgrade, get "Where do we want to install Windows ?" and "No drivers found" " " Click on " Load Drivers" to install mass storage" then " insert Drivers" What drivers ?.
    We are now stalled with Set up at 3 quarters pf Collecting info..
    And we were doing so well.
    Spanner.

2. 2013/10/21
    retiredlearner

retiredlearner SuperGeek WindowsBBS Team Member

Probably referring to Motherboard drivers? Neil.

3. to hide this advert.

4. 2013/10/22
    TonyT

TonyT SuperGeek Staff

Don't do an upgrade, do a clean install.

5. 2013/10/22
    SpywareDr

SpywareDr SuperGeek WindowsBBS Team Member

If the hard drive failed, and you still had the Windows installation DVD in the CD/DVD drive, then yes, the computer would have booted from it (because it cannot boot from a dead hard drive) which would of course start the installation routine on the Windows installation DVD all over again.

6. 2013/10/22
    Spanner

TRied Custom install, got window asking " where do you want to install Windows" no options,also as with upgrade, "No Driver found" " Click 'Load Driver' to provide mass storage driver for installation"
    clicked 'Load Driver' got window " To install the device driver needed to access your hard drive, insert the installation media containing the driver files, and then click OK.
    "Note. The installation media can be a floppy disk, CD, or USB flash drive. "
    Where do I go now, is it the Motherboard ?
    What installation media ? only got the Windows 7 installation disk 'for reurrbished 'CD's
    Spanner

7. 2013/10/22
    SpywareDr

One possibility is when the Windows installation routine cannot detect a working hard drive, it thinks it may need a driver in order to recognize the hard drive.

8. 2013/10/23
    Spanner

Thanks Doc , I think you nailed it, Took case off PC pushed data and power cable into HD and checked motherboard IDE connections, suspect we may have dislodged IDE connection when installing extra RAM, very tight in there,
    Windows starts up ok, but having Internet connection problem,Ethernet socket on Motherboard/Router flashing all the time.
    Tried installing Wireless dongle but get message' Application not found' when inserting driver.
    What have I missed out ?
    PC knows driver is there, shows up on 'MY Computer'
    Spanner.

9. 2013/10/23
    SpywareDr

You're welcome. Good to hear it's up and running.

Start with installing the motherboard chipset drivers. If you've already done that, check Device Manager to see if you're missing any drivers, especially the one for the wired network card. If it's not working, use another computer to download the driver, install it on the problem computer, then reboot and test. If it's up and running, go to Windows Update and get ALL available updates. That usually solves the majority of any other 'missing driver" problems.

10. 2013/10/24
    Spanner

Thanks Neil and Doc, situation so far.
    Device manager only shows Printer without driver, I have one for that.
    Motherboard chipset! have not been there before. I went to Advanced Chipset features, cannot see any ref, to motherboard chipset , what should I be looking at please?.
    Other than not being able to go 'Online', that PC is working ok, Neil referred to motherboard , I am concerned that the Internet connection via the Ethernet cable is showing flickering lights on PC and Router, connection lights for two other PC's to Router are stable, have changed Ethernet cable three times to faulty PC.
    Thanks all.
    Spanner

11. 2013/10/24
    PeteC

PeteC SuperGeek Staff

The motherboard chipset drivers, etc will be found on the motherboard manufacturer's web site - remember that you require those for Windows 7.

If you don't know the make/model of motherboard use Speccy free to determine - use the piriform.com download link.

12. 2013/10/24
    Spanner

Thanks PeteC, I had done a 'Speccy' scan ( at your suggestion on an earlier thread) before we upgraded to W7.
    But I am having trouble getting the info from manufacturers, I click on the manufacturers name in a list of manufactures of motherboards and get nowhere .
    Perhaps someone can tell me how to do it please.
    The info I have is =
    Motherboard , Microstar ref 02/16/2004-P4M266-8233-6A6LWM4FC-00
    'Tiny' Computer X based PC
    Processor INTEL(R), Celeron (R) CPU 2.7
    Hope this is enough info;
    Thanks.
    Spanner

13. 2013/10/24
    PeteC

PeteC SuperGeek Staff

I can't find individual drivers for that board - best bet would be to see if their Live Update , but without an internet connection not possible.

Identify the Ethernet card/chip through Device Manager or Speccy and gGoogle for drivers - again manufacturer's web site is best.

Other possible solution delete Ethernet card in Device Manager and re-boot to let Windows install it again.

When installing Win 7 it AFAIK activates automatically over the internet - is the install activated?

14. 2013/10/24
    Spanner

Thanks PeteC for quick response, will do your suggestions SAP, can;t remember if W7 was activated, will check.
    Just noticed the PC concerned started in 'Start up repair'it is now going through the check procedure,letting it run for the moment, it is 'attempting repairs',Update you later.
    THanks again,
    Spanner

15. 2013/10/24
    Spanner

Result of 'Start up repair' " Unspecified changes to system configeration might have caused the problem, Repair action failed , ( System files and integrity ) Error code 0x496.
    Restarted PC OK So what was that about ?
    Spanner.

16. 2013/10/24
    PeteC

PeteC SuperGeek Staff

No idea - nothing regarding that error code on Google. System files and integrity suggests corrupted files. Would be worth running System File Checker.

Open an elevated command prompt and at the flashing cursor type sfc /scannow followed by Enter.

With a computer ~ 9 years old I would not be surprised if the hard drive and or motherboard are somewhat flaky.
    Can't say more than monitor the system on next and subsequent boots.

17. 2013/10/24
    James Martin

James Martin Geek Member

Spanner, I have an MSI board older than yours (2003 - I think), and I can see the motherboard info via Belarc Advisor.

My board is: MS-6738

http://www.msi.com/product/mb/KM2M-Combo-L.html#/?div=Driver&os=Vista 64

In Belarc Advisor (just above Main Circuit Board), it shows System Model, too...

KM266-8235

Desktop Enclosure.

Just thought I would pass this along in case you want to try it.

18. 2013/10/25
    Spanner

Thanks James, that is interesting, I may have to come back to that later, i am typing this on the PC in question, I uninstalled Ethernet as suggested by PeteC, it reinstalled software on restart, I did a few other tests such as LAN tests and got IPv4 connectivity internet, and IPv6 connectivity No network access, and then 'Currently connected Network Internet.
    I then clicked on my Internet Ikon and got the usual 'unable to connect,' tried troubleshoot, and somehow got a response from 'Bing' typed in Windows BBS and to my surprise I am on line.
    I have not tried downloading drivers from a CD yet, that is next.
    How do I do an 'Elevated command prompt' please.
    I am keeping this open because I am cautious about the Internet connection and the motherboard.
    Thanks for the help so far, my fingers are crossed.
    Spanner

19. 2013/10/25
    PeteC

PeteC SuperGeek Staff

Orb > All Programs > Accessories - right click Command Prompt > Run as Administrator.

20. 2013/10/25
    SpywareDr

It's just as easy to "Mark this thread as unsolved" and it is to "Mark this tread as solved ". ;)

21. 2013/10/26
    Spanner

Yesterday I tried a restart after getting Internet connection,as my post 22 hours ago to Windows BBS proves. Then got " Internet Explorer unable to show this page " did a diognise connection , no result.
    This morning I get single bleep on boot up then it stalls at 'Detecting IDE drives' no HD action, pressing DEL no response.Ethernet connection light steady on router.
    Tried a couple of restarts from OFF same result , Stalled.
    Thanks PeteC and Doc, appreciate your help, gonna solve this one somehow.
    Spanner.