1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. You are viewing our forum as a guest. For full access please Register. WindowsBBS.com is completely free, paid for by advertisers and donations.

vnetbios.vxd missing in Win98...help!

Discussion in 'Legacy Windows' started by MauserBob, 2004/05/13.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. 2004/05/13
    MauserBob

MauserBob Inactive Thread Starter

Computer Experience:
    intermediate
    I saw the thread on this on the Win95 forum, but it isn't much help for me. I reinstalled Win98, but the file vnetbios.vxd turned up missing, so when I start the computer up, it generates the black-screen error message. Once I hit "anykey ", the system starts, but I cannot adjust my video settings beyond 16 colors and 640x480. The machine has an ATI RAGE video card in it, and I believe it installed correctly, but cannot be sure as I cannot adjust my settings.

I downloaded it on my XP machine, as it's the only one connected to the internet at the moment. I was able to put the file on a 3.5 floppy, but when I put the disk in the A: drive, it stops functioning, so I even wasted an entire cdrom by burning the stupid little 39 kb file onto it, thinking I could use that method, but when I load the disk in the 98 machine, it doesn't see the file on the disk.

I lost my train of thought here, so I'll simply ask if anyone has any ideas or advice. Can the file be found on the Win98 disk? Or is it somewhere in the Windows file?

Any help would be VERY appreciated.

Thanks folks.

Rob.

2. 2004/05/13
    markp62

markp62 Geek Member Alumni

Computer Experience:
    Experienced
    Boot the computer with CD rom support, insert the Win Cd, and do these commands at the A:\> prompt, pressing Enter at the end of each line. Use the proper letter for the CD drive in place of the X below.

c:
    cd\windows\system
    extract /y X:\win98\net9.cab vnetbios.vxd

You should get the message '1`file(s) extracted'.
    Take out floppy and reboot.

3. to hide this advert.

4. 2004/05/14
    MauserBob

MauserBob Inactive Thread Starter

Computer Experience:
    intermediate
    Thank you. That worked!

Now, I've just gotta figure out how to get my display to change modes. It's still stuck in 640x480 @ 16 color. I can change the settings, but once it restarts, it reverts to the above.

Rob.

5. 2004/05/14
    markp62

markp62 Geek Member Alumni

Computer Experience:
    Experienced
    If you believe you have the proper drivers for it, try this.
    Go into the Device Manager and remove the video adaptor. Now Restart in Dos Mode and do these two commands.
    scanreg /opt
    scanreg /fix

When you get the message that windows has repaired the registry, reboot, and hopefully windows detects and installs the drivers correctly.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.