1. You are viewing our forum as a guest. For full access please Register. WindowsBBS.com is completely free, paid for by advertisers and donations.

Resolved Visualizations don't work in Windows Media Player 11

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by Evan Omo, 2006/11/03.

1. 2006/11/03
    Evan Omo

Evan Omo Computer Support Technician Staff Thread Starter

Hi all,
    I have been having this problem on my computer for a while and I can't seem to figure this one out. :mad: Every time I open Windows Media Player 11 to play a song, it will play the song but it won't show any visualization. :mad: I have right clicked on the area where the visualization is displayed and I have tried every one of them. All that it shows is a black screen. :( I can play movies and other media files without a problem. I have installed the latest flash player for my OS and it works because I can watch videos online. I have uninstalled and reinstalled Windows Media Player and nothing changed. I also know for a fact that the songs that I am playing aren't corrupt because I play them on another computer which has Windows Media Player 10 and it shows all the visualizations. :( I don't know what could be causing the problem. I also haven't experienced any other issues in Windows Media Player 11 and I don't know why this is happening.
    :confused:

I could use some help on how to resolve this. Thanks in Advance!!!:)

2. 2006/11/03
    markp62

markp62 Geek Member Alumni

Try this little trick. Start a song, then when it is playing, press ALT and ENTER at the same time. This will put WMP into full screen mode (like a screensaver), and see if the visual starts up. My WMP 10 sometime quits doing the visual, and this kicks it back up for me.

3. to hide this advert.

4. 2006/11/03
    Evan Omo

Hello markp26,
    Thanks for your response. :) I went to full screen while a song was playing but the visualization never showed up. It just showed a black screen like in normal mode. My Media Player is pretty much fine and I haven't ran into any errors yet. I also went into C:/Program Files/Windows Media Player/Visualizations and discovered that the visualization folder was empty. :eek: So that could explain why the media player can't show the visualizations because they don't even exist. :confused:

Some more advice would be greatly appreciated! :)

5. 2006/11/07
    Evan Omo

Hello all,
    I think I may have a possible solution to why my media player isn't showing the latest visualzations. I ended up playing a song in Windows Media Player 10 on another computer and it shows all of the visualizations. So my problem could be Windows Media Player 11 itself and not my computer. But I still don't know how to resolve this.

Some more feedback would be greatly appreciated. Thanks! :)

6. 2006/11/08
    PeteC

PeteC SuperGeek Staff

Coincidentally I installed 11 yesterday, but have not used it yet - rarely do, but curiosity got the better of me ....

The Visualisations folder is empty on my install too :(

I shall watch this thread with interest and, if time permits maybe do a bit of troubleshooting and post back.

7. 2006/11/08
    PeteC

PeteC SuperGeek Staff

Just goes to show how little I know about Media Player :) I'm not a 'media person'.

Anyway experimented a little this morning .....

Rolled back to WMP 10 as detailed here ....

http://www.microsoft.com/windows/wi...aspx#RollingbacktoapreviousversionofthePlayer

Checked out the Visualisations folder in WMP 10 - empty :)

Played a CD - visualisations worked just fine.

Conclusion - standard visualisations are in a .dll file probably, the Visualisations folder is for downloaded visualisations.

Reloaded WMP 11 and, as expected the Visualisations folder was empty, but when playing a CD the visualisation worked. No idea if it did on the first install as I did not evaluate the player.

Evan - I am not sufficiently familiar with WMP to know my way around it, but a start point would be ....

Click on the Now Playing tab > Visualisations and check that visualisations are enabled.

If no luck I suggest you roll back to WMP 10, re-install WMP 11 and see what happens.

8. 2006/11/08
    Evan Omo

Will do.

9. 2006/11/09
    Evan Omo

Hello all,
    I uninstalled Windows Media Player 11 and installed Windows Media Player 10. The Visualizations worked fine. I think I will stick with WMP 10. I appreciate the advice given to me. WindowsBBS is a great forum to post computer problems on. :) I am very impressed with the advice and support from all the members on WindowsBBS. :D Thanks again to all who helped me. ;)

10. 2006/11/10
    PeteC

PeteC SuperGeek Staff

You're welcome :)