1. You are viewing our forum as a guest. For full access please Register. WindowsBBS.com is completely free, paid for by advertisers and donations.

Windows Vista [Vista will not boot after System Restore]

Discussion in 'Legacy Windows' started by JT53, 2010/07/01.

1. 2010/07/01
    JT53

JT53 Inactive Thread Starter

I am having the same problem with windows vista. I was able to open in safe mode until I tried to restore back to the latest restore point. Now, I can't even do that. I tried reloading the display driver before attempting the restore, but that didn't work either. I now have a black screen and no computer. I am using an E-Machine (1116?) with ADM duo prossesor. Is there a way to fix this without losing all the memory? Please help.

JT53,
  2. 2010/07/01
    PeteC

PeteC SuperGeek Staff

Please do not tag onto the end of an existing thread even if you think that your issue is the same or similar - always start a new thread.

Your post moved to a new thread.

3. to hide this advert.

4. 2010/07/01
    JT53

Sorry for the post faux pas.

Is there a way to save the memory? Perhaps by removing the HD and plugging it into another fully functional computer? Are there any ideas?

JT53,
  5. 2010/07/01
    PeteC

PeteC SuperGeek Staff

Connecting the hard drive to another computer should enable you to copy data (not memory :)) off the disk to another disk or burn to DVD/CD - providing that the drive is recognised by the other computer.

Once you have recovered all your data - which you will surely back up in the future :) re-install the drive in the original computer and make a clean install or use a Recovery disk if supplied with the computer. The later will restore the computer to the state in which it was delivered to you.

6. 2010/07/02
    JT53

Thanks Pete!
    I will try plugging the disk into an external device to retrieve the data. I have one that has another disk in it connected through a USB cable (you may see a pattern developing) to the malfunctioning unit. Is there any tricks to this procedure other than unplugging and swapping? A friend did it for me the last time this happened about three years ago and he said there was nothing to it. But I ain't him! Thanks again for your help.- Jim

JT53,
  7. 2010/07/02
    PeteC

PeteC SuperGeek Staff

Should be straightforward ....

Open the external case - unplugged of course :)

Carefull remove the power and data cables from the drive

Connect up your duff drive and close the case.

NB - this assumes that both drives are of the same type - the older IDE (PATA) or more current SATA. The connections for a PATA drive (ribbon data cable, molex power socket) and a SATA drive are not the same and are not interchangeable.

8. 2010/07/02
    JT53

Great tip!
    If they are incompatible, I would have to buy a newer duff drive? Small price to pay for 18 months of procrastination. I should have been backing this stuff up all along. I will post how this eventually turns out. Thanks again for the advice.- Jim

JT53,
  9. 2010/07/02
    PeteC

PeteC SuperGeek Staff

No - you would need to buy an external case compatible with the duff drive. The whole object of putting the duff drive in an external case (or another computer) is to enable you to copy the required data off - clearly you need the use of another computer whether you slave the drive or install it in another computer. Or, from post #4 .....
    Of course you may prefer to replace the drive in which case once you have installed that and an OS the data from the old drive can be copied to the new - always assuming that the old drive is recognised by Windows.

10. 2010/07/03
    JT53

Pete,
    As it turns out, my existing external case states SATA/IDE. I'm guessing that it will house either variety. I won't have time to proceed with this until next week, due to a hectic work schedule. Meanwhile, I am borrowing various computers as the chances present. I will let you know how it works. You have helped plenty on this and I deeply appreciate your expertise. –Jim

JT53,
  11. 2010/07/03
    PeteC

PeteC SuperGeek Staff

You're welcome :) - I will be off the Board for a few days from next Thurs pm until the following Wednesday.