1. You are viewing our forum as a guest. For full access please Register. WindowsBBS.com is completely free, paid for by advertisers and donations.

Windows Vista Vista install opinions wanted

Discussion in 'Legacy Windows' started by TonyT, 2007/01/29.

1. 2007/01/29
    TonyT

TonyT SuperGeek Staff Thread Starter

I'm posting this in an effort to reduce the amount of research I have to do. Obviously I can make my own decisions, but I want to hear what others think, in case I have overlooked something.

Which version of Vista should I install, Business or Ultimate?
    (I already have all the final versions)

Relevant data:
    desktop comp is Vista ready - 3.02GHz w/HT, 2 GB DDR4200 RAM, 256MB PCIe graphics card & everything else good to go.

I currentlly run XPPro, aggressively tweaked services and systems settings, themes, no folder background images, no common tasks in folders.

From what I've read so far, it appears that Vista Ultimate is sort of like XPPRO + XP Media Center Edition combined + the new Vista features, and that Vista Business is prettty much the same thing w/out the Media features.

I'm leaning toward Business because I won't be doing Media Center Edition stuff on this comp.

Last edited: 2007/01/29
  2. 2007/01/29
    Steve R Jones

Steve R Jones SuperGeek Staff

I have a newProduct Guide book that MS sent me. The book lists out the options on four pages....And yes, the difference is Mainly the Medic Center functions...

3. to hide this advert.

4. 2007/01/30
    Steve R Jones

Steve R Jones SuperGeek Staff

5. 2007/02/03
    Paul

Paul Inactive

I'm awaiting the Business edition. I purchased a AUD$99 version of XP Pro, and for an extra AUD$27 MS will send me the Vista Business upgrade. So two operating systems for AUD$126.
    I also have no use for the Media Centre functionality. The Business edition doesn't have the Built-in DVD/CD authoring functionality either. But I have other software for burning etc.

MS are betting that many purchasers just won't be able to help themselves, and have to have the all bells and whistles version, Vista Ultimate. I'm over those cravings now. ;)

Paul,
  6. 2007/02/05
    usasma

usasma Inactive

Run Ultimate. Why? Because you can. :) Otherwise, it's just the feature set that you should be concerned with - and IMO, the differences between the 2 aren't very great.