1. You are viewing our forum as a guest. For full access please Register. WindowsBBS.com is completely free, paid for by advertisers and donations.

Windows Vista Vista clean install on A7N8X-E trouble

Discussion in 'Legacy Windows' started by mikec101, 2006/06/20.

1. 2006/06/20
    mikec101

mikec101 Inactive Thread Starter

I am running A7N8X-E with 2G RAM and AMD XP 3000 (I disabled SATA on the mobo since I am only running IDEs).
    I have 2 Seagate ST320011A (20G each) and a Wester Digital WD600BB (60G)

Primary IDE
    Seagate 1 is Pri. Master
    Seagate 2 is Pri. Slave

Secondary IDE
    Western Digital / Sec. Master
    Memorex DVD / Sec. Master

However, I cannnot get Vista to install. I get past the "Windows is loading files..." and then I get stuck on the second progress bar (with the MS copyright at the bottom). Sometims I get 4,5,7, even 9 iterations and then it just stops _dead_!

What amd I doing wrong here?

Thanks for your help.

Mike

Last edited: 2006/06/20
  2. 2006/06/20
    McTavish

McTavish Inactive

How are you trying to install? Form within Windows or booting from the CD? Is it on a new partition or an upgrade install of XP? If upgrade you need more than 8 gigs of free space on the partition. What’s on your hard drives at the moment and which partition are you trying to install to? I have it on a A7N8X-E so unlikely to be a motherboard issue.

3. to hide this advert.

4. 2006/06/20
    Arie

Arie Administrator Administrator Staff

Look in the \Sources\Panther\ folder for these files:

setuperr.log
    diagerr.xml
    diagwrn.xml
    debug.log
    setupact.log

Just boot from the DVD, start Setup (at least get to the product key page). Hit the Shift+F10 key combo. This should bring up a cmd prompt from where you can copy the logs to usb device or network location (to start networking, type wpeinit).

Arie,
  5. 2006/06/20
    r.leale Lifetime Subscription

r.leale Well-Known Member

How long did you wait Mike? It went OK for me from a downloaded ISO burnt to a DVD, but it did take ages, roughly 20 minutes for the loading of files.
    Same MB with an Athlon XP+3200.

Roger

6. 2006/06/20
    mikec101

I tried both. From within Windows and straight boot. From windows, it goes through the entire gui-based setup but once it reboots, Setup stops at the black screen and there is no activity at all on the progress bar. When I boot fron the DVD, I get through the file-copying phase and then it stops at the progress bar. I try to put evrything on disk0/part0.

7. 2006/06/20
    mikec101

The "Windows is loading files..." took about 3 minutes when I booted from the DVD, and the upgrade from within XP took about 20 min - 1/2 hour. I left it at the progress bar screen overnight.

8. 2006/06/20
    McTavish

McTavish Inactive

Is there another Windows OS on the same hard drive? If so it will be trying to setup its dual boot system on a partition further down the drive. I’ve also had occasional problems when I had unusual partition setups. Don’t think the Beta-2 installer is quite up to the unusual yet. Do you want Vista to set up dual boot?

9. 2006/06/20
    mikec101

I _can't_ get to the product page key when I boot from the DVD. Setup loads files, and then it stops. I can't read the logs, since nothing is written to disk.

Take a look at this: http://type3.net/vista/

I did this in VMware just to give you an idea of what happens in DOS.

10. 2006/06/20
    mikec101

No, I want it to scrap XP. There is an XP installation there, but I don't care about it. I planned on deleting it when I get to the partition-selection phase of the Setup. And I am installing on the first disk w/o any extended partitions or logical drives.

11. 2006/06/20
    McTavish

McTavish Inactive

Can you complete the install in VMware or does it stop at the same point? If it does then I would say it has to be a bad CD.

12. 2006/06/20
    mikec101

Yeah, I got everything running inside VMware. It took some tweaking to get the sound running, but I used Creative driver for Win2K I had laying around and it worked just fine. I even got NOD32 to run on it.

13. 2006/06/20
    McTavish

McTavish Inactive

If it’s not a bad CD then there must be something about the hard drive it does not like. You sure it's the boot drive in the bios? Did you have a third party boot manager installed to the MBR, or another way of dual booting that may have marked the primary partition/s as inactive? Check the partition you want to install to is the Active one on the drive and even format it or delete it beforehand. Or try deleting the MBR or doing a Zero Fill on the drive, but be careful if you have other hard drives connected.