1. You are viewing our forum as a guest. For full access please Register. WindowsBBS.com is completely free, paid for by advertisers and donations.

Windows Vista Vista boots wrong graphics driver with KVM switch

Discussion in 'Legacy Windows' started by rikki, 2013/08/21.

1. 2013/08/21
    rikki

rikki Well-Known Member Thread Starter

My set-up includes two computers connected to a KVM switch. When I boot up, the second, Vista machine always falls back to an incorrect default graphics driver unless I switch the monitor to that machine while booting. I assume that Vista is trying to check the monitor and making an incorrect assumption when it doesn’t see it. Is there any way to override this behaviour so Vista will just boot normally with the correct driver even when the monitor is connected to the other computer? With the current situation, I either have to switch to the second computer while booting or I have to manually change the resolution afterwards. Both solutions are rather tedious. How can I make Vista boot with the right resolution (1440 x 900) even when the monitor is connected to the other computer?

2. 2013/08/22
    retiredlearner

retiredlearner SuperGeek WindowsBBS Team Member

Hi rikki, Quote [Vista machine always falls back to an incorrect default graphics driver]
    Is that driver necessary?
    Have you updated your graphics drivers from the manufacturer? Neil.

3. to hide this advert.

4. 2013/08/22
    Arie

Arie Administrator Administrator Staff

See if this helps: In the Start Search box on Vista' Start menu type task, and click Task Scheduler from the Start menu.

In the left pane of Task Scheduler, expand Task Scheduler Library > Microsoft > Windows, and select MobilePC.

Right click the task TMM and select Disable.

Please list the graphics card in use.

Arie,
  5. 2013/08/22
    rikki

Sorry I forgot to mention the chipset. It's an AMD Radeon 8650 and the graphics driver is the ATI Radeon HD 3200. Not long ago I updated the driver so everything is as current as it can be.

I tried disabling the TMM task but it didn't make any difference. Thanks for the suggestion though.

6. 2013/08/23
    Arie

In your Catalyst Control Center, select Display Options and see if you have a setting for Display Detection. If you have, set it to Use manual detection only.

Another suggestion I found: Have a look at your services, the graphics card may have a service to detect this such as "AMD External Events Utility" or "ati hotkey poller ". Disable it and see if that makes a difference.

Arie,
  7. 2013/08/23
    Arie

This info from Microsoft support explains what is the cause:

Arie,
    rikki likes this.
  8. 2013/08/23
    rikki

Arie,

Thanks very much for the help. This is very good information. I will play with the settings though I probably won't bother upgrading the KVM switch unless the current one dies. I am just glad to know what is going on and that there is a solution. I will mark this as resolved. Windows BBS is by far the best site I have ever found for knowledgeable, practical advice. You guys rock!