1. You are viewing our forum as a guest. For full access please Register. WindowsBBS.com is completely free, paid for by advertisers and donations.

Resolved Virtual Box WinXP pro guest internet connection problem

Discussion in 'Windows 10' started by Moorty, 2017/06/10.

1. 2017/06/10
    Moorty Lifetime Subscription

Moorty Well-Known Member Thread Starter

Vitual box guest winxp pro is run on Windows 10 host. This happened after I installed service pack 3. The internet connection is not working. When I ping google.com I get a response with TIL 53. But when I try to connect to Google or Yahoo, it says site found or connecting or waiting without any resolution. What changes in settings can make to make the connection work? The Avast anti-virus cannot be updated because of the lack of internet connection. I would appreciate some help.

Virtual box Community moderator said there was nothing wrong with the Virtual Box because the pinging worked.

2. 2017/06/10
    rsinfo

rsinfo SuperGeek Alumni

Have you installed the VirtualBox extensions again ? Running service packs in VM guests have been known to make these extensions stop working.

3. to hide this advert.

4. 2017/06/11

Thank you for your reply.

I just reinstalled the extensions pack and it didn't make any difference in the browser (Firefox) behavior: it's still stuck at "connect. In the Internet Explorer you see "Website found, waiting for reply" and in the progress bar it shows five (green dots) notches (very slowly) and then it get stuck.

Do you have any other suggestions?

5. 2017/06/11
    rsinfo

rsinfo SuperGeek Alumni

Then some problem with the copy of XP SP3 or the update went awry. Backup the data & recreate the VM. That would be much simpler & faster than debugging.

On second thought, why do you want to access internet through XP ? It's not very secure.

6. 2017/06/12

That's a lot of hassle to recreate virtual box, reinstall windows xp, service pack and software. I would rather let the internet connection go. Thanks for your advice.