1. You are viewing our forum as a guest. For full access please Register. WindowsBBS.com is completely free, paid for by advertisers and donations.

VIAAGP1.sys filter driver disk needed

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by johnotaz, 2006/02/23.

1. 2006/02/23
    johnotaz

johnotaz Inactive Thread Starter

Hi
    Great trauma for me as i went to reinstall XP today, i get a message during setup that the file viaagp1.sys on Via AGP filter driver disk is needed, i can not find it anywhere and am hoping someone might help me out here as i have already lost a full days work and not much chance of getting going yet.

Sorry for my naivety but the PC is 3 months old and the Video card is ASUS VG V443.
    Any thoughts or help would be greatly appreciated,

Frank

2. 2006/02/23
    sparrow

sparrow Inactive

3. to hide this advert.

4. 2006/03/15
    jbeckley

jbeckley Inactive

VIAAGP1.sys

Hopefully downloading the VIAAGP1.sys driver as suggested by the previous poster worked out. In case you are still having trouble, or anyone else reading this thread is experiencing this problem, I will suggest another idea that worked for me.

I ran into the VIAAGP1.sys filter driver disk needed error while attempting a repair installation of Windows XP (which seems to be where most people have encountered this error). Initially I had no idea where to locate the file. Hard drive searches were revealing nothing. Eventually I decided to reinstall the drivers from the disk that came with my mainboard. At the same time I ran a more thorough search for the VIAAGP1.sys file, specifying to search in system folders and hidden folders. Since I was trying two things at once, I can't say for sure which attempt did the trick. Either way, once the drivers were installed and the search was complete I saw that VIAAGP1.sys was found on my system (located in c:\WINDOWS\system32\drivers). The next time the "VIAAGP1.sys filter driver disk needed" dialogue box came up, I selected "Browse" and pointed to the c:\WINDOWS\system32\drivers folder. From there the installation for the display adapter (VIA/S3G UniChrome Pro IGP) completed successfully.

5. 2006/03/16
    rsinfo

rsinfo SuperGeek Alumni

I copy all the drivers to hard disk under the folder Drivers so that this situation does not arise. The drivers may become outdated, but at least they work.

6. 2006/03/16
    mattman

mattman Inactive Alumni

Nice response and description.
    VIAAGP will be the chipset drivers that connect to (run) the graphics drivers. If the problem reoccurs, find and install the recommended drivers for your motherboard/chipset from the VIA website (Everest in my signature can help ID the hardware/chipset model if you do not have the manual) www.viaarena.com.

You can go to Device Manager and uninstall/reinstall the driver. It will be listed under System Devices ->VIA __ AGP to CPU Controller. That is the specific driver, although it should be installed correctly by running the VIA chipset drivers installation software.

Matt

Last edited: 2006/03/16
  7. 2006/03/16
    johnotaz

johnotaz Inactive Thread Starter

Thanks everyone, now i have had my PC professionally re-installed as i use it for work and didnt trust myself to do it properly. The same problem kept occuring and he had no idea how to fix it. I have followed your advice and fixed it myself so i say a huge thankyou.
    Johno

8. 2006/03/16
    sparrow

sparrow Inactive

I do the same, and in addition include the dll files in the windows folder and the card's folder if present; found out they were needed the hard way when an older vga card refused to install even tho the drivers were preserved and the mfgr. (ATI) hadn't older drivers available online. The online drivers refused to install the card, even when their name was the same.