1. You are viewing our forum as a guest. For full access please Register. WindowsBBS.com is completely free, paid for by advertisers and donations.

Version 1803 and Windows Defender

Discussion in 'Windows 10' started by Christer, 2018/05/02.

1. 2018/05/02
    Christer

Christer Geek Member Staff Thread Starter

In previous versions a link to "C:\Program Files\Windows Defender\MSASCui.exe" opened the program in the "classic" user interface but no longer. I wonder ... :confused: ... if there is a way?

Attached Files:

2. 2018/05/02
    Bill

Bill SuperGeek WindowsBBS Team Member

That actually went away by default about a year ago but you could get to it by creating a shortcut to the file you just noted. But now, it pulls up the new Windows Defender Security Center UI. It seems the old UI is gone for good. Too bad. I liked it too though I expect it is just because I was used to it.

Bill,

3. to hide this advert.

4. 2018/05/02
    Bill

Looking at the new and updated UI, it does provide, IMO, a lot more and easier access to all the new settings in WD.

Bill,
  5. 2018/05/02
    Christer

I know it's like looking in the rearview mirror but I liked it because it was similar to the interface in Microsoft Security Essentials running on Windows 7.

6. 2018/05/02
    Bill

I hear you on that. Some times I guess we just have to let the Luddites in us go - (he says as he uses Start10 to make W10 look and feel like W7!;)).

Bill,
  7. 2018/05/02
    retiredlearner

retiredlearner SuperGeek WindowsBBS Team Member

Christer, its called progress, innovation, new technology, change, alteration or whatever you would like to name it.
    Do you accept all the improvements put in new cars these days? ABS, traction control, air bags, passing sensors, self-parking, GPS, Bluetooth etc.etc.
    My motto is - adapt to change or get left behind.
    This is why so many oldies don't understand remote controls for TV's, DVD players etc. They rely on their grandchildren to make adjustments for them.
    Having said that, my wife is a classic example of some people who have no practical or technical skills and make no effort to learn or use the gadgets. (send me grapes at the hospital if she reads this).

8. 2018/05/03
    Christer

Funny you would make that comparison! Well, I bought a car in 2001 when "features" started to appear. To assist the driver, relieving him/her of a huge workload, the windscreen wipers cycled once (made a single stroke) when the engine was started. If there was a bird dropping, bugs (no, not the computer version made by Microsoft but those hitting the windscreen flying) or whatever on the windscreen, it was evenly smeared over a larger area. It took me a minute to find out how to disable that counterproductive "feature".

I only wish it was that easy with Windows 10 ... :p ... !

9. 2018/05/03
    Bill

I understand them. But even with my new trifocals, I cannot always find the button I want! ;)

I am find with change - as long as it is not for the sake of change. Just had a related discussion in another forum about ZoneAlarm. Many years ago it was considered by many to be the best firewall out there. But then CheckPoint acquired them and added a spyware checker and this and that, turning it into a big, bloated "suite" that was a resource hog.

They "new and improved" it to death.

Funny story about your windshield wipers. Several years I splurged and bought a new Toyota Avalon after a nice promotion. This car had everything, including automatic windshield wipers. These things worked great! If there was a slight mist, they would periodically make a single swipe to clear it off. If there was a sudden downpour, they would immediately ramp up to full speed, then toggle down as the rain lessened. They never went too slow or too fast. I loved them.

Then I bought a new Ford truck. The first time I got caught out in a bad storm, I'm sitting there wondering why I can't see a thing. Then it dawned on me. I have to manually turn on the wipers. Luckily the controls were intuitively on the turn signal arm.

Bill,
  10. 2018/05/03
    Christer

On my car, there was no rain sensor or anything "automatic" other than that single swipe when the engine was started. Totally useless!

11. 2018/05/03
    Bill

I agree. That seems like a stupid feature. I used to live in the desert southwest in Arizona and New Mexico. That last thing you want is your wipers to scrape across your bone-dry, dust covered windshield every time you turn the key.

12. 2018/05/04
    Christer

What's up with the TPM (Trusted Platform Module)? The first time (on 1803) I went to Defender, I was notified that the "Security Processor" had to be reset to rectify problems (or whatever it says in English) but not telling what the problem actually is. I did as instructed but now, a day or two later, it has returned. When I click to "read more", I end up at a Microsoft webpage selling Office 365.

Another ... :rolleyes: ... "windshield wiper"?

Edited: I reset it again. If the request returnes, it will become an entry on my "ignore list".

Last edited: 2018/05/04
  13. 2018/05/04
    Bill

14. 2018/05/04
    Christer