1. You are viewing our forum as a guest. For full access please Register. WindowsBBS.com is completely free, paid for by advertisers and donations.

Resolved [Using contacts folder to import Windows Live Mail address book?]

Discussion in 'Microsoft Mail (Outlook / OE / Windows Mail)' started by gghartman, 2012/08/05.

1. 2012/08/05
    gghartman

gghartman Inactive Thread Starter

i have a machine i am working on with windows 7 and using windows live mail. the drive is bad and when i try to bring up windows live mail it errors on me saying it needs to be reinstalled. what this means to me is i am unable to export the address book into a csv file. i have access to the contacts folder and have backed that up along with emails.

so my question is there anyway using the contacts folder to import the address book into the new system once dell replaces the hard drive ??? i have looked online and cannot find a way to do this but want to check here also.

thanks greg.

2. 2012/08/05
    MitchellCooley Lifetime Subscription

MitchellCooley Inactive

If you have a live.com account you can log on to it via the web, select contacts, select manage, click export and it will download the contacts in .csv format to the current hard drive.

3. to hide this advert.

4. 2012/08/06
    gghartman

im assuming one would have to have a live.com acct before the damage occured ???

5. 2012/08/06

MitchellCooley Inactive

yes. But, if you click start and in the search box type "contacts ". At the top of the list should be Programs and under that should be "contacts ". Right click on contacts and select "open folder location ". Double click on the contacts folder. In the menu bar select export and follow the prompts.

By "backed up" do you mean you copied the contacts folder to an external device? If so, you should be able to copy that folder (or its contents) to the same location on the new drive.

6. 2012/08/06
    gghartman

yes i was able to take the drive out of machine and attached to one of my other machines as a slave and get the data including the contacts folder. i will try what you say when i get the new drive hopefully tomorrow.

the drive failed a few times in the read testing so when i go into the machine within a minute she locks up tight and have to hard shut it down. not enough time to do an export i can barely open windows live and then it locks up.

thanks i look forward to doing what you suggest.

7. 2012/08/06
    gghartman

just by copying the contacts folder to the same location on the new drive wont have the contacts when opening windows live. when i copying to the new system how can i make that contacts folder be seen with contacts when i open live ???

8. 2012/08/06

MitchellCooley Inactive

Windows Live Mail points to that folder for contacts. Replacing it with the one you copied from the other drive should make a seamless transition.

I could be wrong. I have been before. Maybe one of the experts can hop in here and add some light.

9. 2012/08/06
    gghartman

i dont think it does. im pretty sure ive done that before and it didnt work.

i think this is the one big flaw that microsoft should look into. lots of times like this you can get the data but can get into the system itself. should be a way one can like you say just put the contacts in the same folder and on your way.