1. You are viewing our forum as a guest. For full access please Register. WindowsBBS.com is completely free, paid for by advertisers and donations.

usb speakers not in Sound and audio devices

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by joenalmo, 2009/03/24.

1. 2009/03/24
    joenalmo

joenalmo Inactive Thread Starter

Hi, I've benn trying to install Z-Cinema speakers on my XP Pro SP3 computer the installation program apparently ends siccesfully but the speakers dont sound all I got is a buzz sound, also I,ve been isnstructed to switch to USB Speaker on Sound and Audio devices Playback device but the USB Option is nor there I have update all the driver on the USB Sectiob od DEvice Manager and the Audio Codecs of the Sound, video and Game Controller of the Device manager without rany results. Can anybory tellme how to get the USB audio Option. Thanks in advance.

2. 2009/03/24
    mattman

mattman Inactive Alumni

3. to hide this advert.

4. 2009/03/26
    joenalmo

Thanks Matt I have both the icon on desktop and in the tray,they show settings that doen't work because the usb speaker device is not installed. I wondet if my GA-8IRXP mobo is USB AUDIO PLAY BACK capable

5. 2009/03/27
    mattman

mattman Inactive Alumni

Here is the mobo specs page:
    http://www.gigabyte.com.au/Products/Motherboard/Products_Spec.aspx?ProductID=1298
    It has 4 X USB 2.0 and 2 X USB 1.1 connectors, use the 2.0 connectors which will be at the back of the system case (the 1.1 will be at the front if they are connected).

Here is the drivers page:
    http://www.gigabyte.com.au/Support/Motherboard/Driver_Model.aspx?ProductID=1298
    I suggest installing the Intel chipset drivers first, BUT, those drivers are dated 2004, so you want some that will match SP3:
    http://www.intel.com/support/chipsets/sb/CS-009236.htm

Next, get the Creative CT5880 Audio drivers from Gigabyte. (If they still seem to be a problem, look for an update at the Creative website.)

You may as well get the LAN and MS_SD drivers at Gigabyte as well. You probably don't need the RAID drivers, but you can get them if you like.

Don't get updated drivers by using "Update driver" in Device Manager, it only searches at Windows Updates and might be the wrong ones. Get the drivers from the hardware manufacturer's website. If you update the drivers that way, the drivers may no longer work with the manufacturer's software (manager).

It might be wise to uninstall the Creative listing in Control Panel -> Add or Remove Programs, before you install the new one (or uninstall if there is no change).

You say there are icons...are they Creative icons?

So...assuming you have followed the (any) installation instructions for the speakers (which I now see are Logitech). Update the chipset drivers (which will include USB), then the audio controller and it's software. I gave you the installation instructions from Logitech, but you may need to configure the speaker settings in the Creative "Audio Manager ". For example, for my standard speakers, my audio did not work until I changed from "High Definition" to standard type speakers.

You say the speakers appear to get installed, but then you say there is "no device ". Watch what it is saying during the speaker detection and (supposedly) installation.

I wouldn't expect that your system would have a problem running those speakers, but check the System Requirements for them (if you need help, there are system identification programs in my signature). OK, here's the System Requirements
    http://www.logitech.com/index.cfm/speakers_audio/home_pc_speakers/devices/3712&cl=roeu,en
    EDIT: Oh, only Windows XP Media Center Edition!!!

I don't have experience installing USB speakers. Search or ask at the Logitech forums if you are stuck.

Matt

6. 2009/03/27
    joenalmo

Tanks Matt for your interest and help. Someone from Logitech Support wrote that there should be no problem to install Z-cinema speaker on my XP SP3 computer, I got Driver Detective to check for update drivers I got them all, but still no results, I red something interesting from another forum: "In Windows XP, if we need to run a High Definition Audio (HDA) device, we would have to install the Universal Audio Architecture (UAA) High Definition Audio class driver. This is either the KB835221 (for SP1) or the newer KB888111 (for SP2 or SP1).

However, this does NOT work for the latest Windows XP Service Pack 3 Release Candidate Release. If you’ve already tried installing the Windows XP Service Pack 3 Release Candidate v3264 with a High Definition Audio (HDA) device in your computer, I’ll bet you have encountered problems with the audio drivers as I did.

When you try installing the KB888111 which works for SP1 and SP2, it will not work for Service Pack 3, at least for the current SP3 RC v3264. Instead, you will be prompted with a message saying that the current service pack installed is newer than the fix you are trying to apply. Even the older KB835221 does not work.

It looks like Microsoft “forgot” to add the Universal Audio Architecture (UAA) driver for High Definition Audio devices in the latest release candidate of the Windows XP Service Pack 3. We hope they will not forget to add it into the final release. Fortunately, all is not lost. There is a way to fix this problem for the current release candidate.

Download:

Fix for KB888111 for Windows XP SP3 RC v3264 (Original)
    Fix for KB888111 for Windows XP SP3 RC v3264 (Mirror)

Windows XP, Service Pack, SP3, XP SP3, HD, Audio, Fix

Source:→ TechARP

What do you think Matt? I download the hot fix and installed the exe file but nothing seem to change , Is there an specific way to install the hot fix?. Thanks in advance for your help.

7. 2009/03/29
    mattman

mattman Inactive Alumni

I probably can't help you very much.

If you haven't seen them, here is the KB information:
    Universal Audio Architecture (UAA) High Definition Audio class driver version 1.0a available for Windows XP, Windows Server 2003, and Windows 2000
    Universal Audio Architecture (UAA) High Definition Audio class driver available for Windows Server 2003, Windows XP, and Window 2000
    I see
    but I don't easily see that they tell you how.

The Creative CT5880 is 5.1 channel, but without researching, I don't know if it has to have an "High Definition Audio Controller" included. Check what is listed under sound/audio in Device Manager. Is there any reference to High Definition?

I would advise against any automatic type driver installer program. It can update drivers without updating the corresponding software ( "manager ") and you could end up with worse problems. I install the hardware manufacturer's version (like I suggested for the Intel chipset drivers and suggested you check at the Creative website for the CT5880 driver updates). If the wrong drivers (or mixed versions) get installed, they can get "jammed" (my terminology). That may require uninstalling drivers in Safe Mode, which you may want to consider. Let me know if you would like to try.

You have one set of information that says the MS drivers could be wrong. Then I would cross reference that with information from the speaker suppliers and the audio controller. Me :), I would start uninstalling drivers and their corresponding software (probably in Safe Mode) and "start all over again" with manufacturer recommended drivers/software and following the installation instructions carefully.

The Creative software can take control over Windows sound properties, but I haven't used Creative software (audio manager) recently. Ask Logitech if there may be a clash with the Creative software.

I would like to research the problem, but it would only be in theory since I don't have your hardware or software to test.

Matt

8. 2009/03/29
    hawk22

hawk22 Geek Member

I use USB speakers, on my Vista System I have the drivers that came with the Gigabyte Speakers 2.1 installed but on my XP SP2 system I don't have the driver installed as I normally use another set of speakers but all had to do is plug them in and Windows installed them just like a new USB Stick new hardware found and installed in a matter of seconds and when I connect the USB speakers they will take over from my normal Altec Lansing speakers disconnect them and I am back to the Altec Lansing. No drivers just what is on board AC97.

just remembered the driver CD that came with the speakers was not compatible with Vista. Meaning no specific drivers for Vista neither.

Last edited: 2009/03/29
  9. 2009/03/30
    joenalmo

Hi Matt, I'm gladd to hear from you, let me tell you , my MB has a built in audio card(creative CT5880)
    Name Unimodem Half-Duplex Audio Device
    Manufacturer Microsoft
    Status OK
    PNP Device ID MODEMWAVE\0\{F844FA0E-6499-4ABC-A30B-163D8B67631D}
    Driver c:\windows\system32\drivers\modemcsa.sys (5.1.2600.0 (xpclient.010817-1148), 15.75 KB (16,128 bytes), 3/5/2005 2:25 AM)

Name Creative AudioPCI (ES1371,ES1373) (WDM)
    Manufacturer Creative Technology Ltd.
    Status OK
    PNP Device ID PCI\VEN_1274&DEV_5880&SUBSYS_A0001458&REV_04\4&3AB31F7F&0&50F0
    I/O Port 0x0000C800-0x0000C83F
    IRQ Channel IRQ 22
    Driver c:\windows\system32\drivers\es1371mp.sys (5.1.2501.0 built by: WinDDK, 39.75 KB (40,704 bytes), 3/4/2005 5:28 PM)

The icon I see is from Z-cinema(a little speaker in destop) also in ADD/Remove programs.

Dont see ani reference to High definition on the Control Panel/Sounds and Audio devices.

I wish I could have a little more precise instrucction on how to unistall the drivers since I can't locate them in device manager.
    and which of them I should remove.
    I will check on the creative site for an update on CT5880.
    Would you recomend me to uninstall SP3?.

The system Information says I have a probem device.

Not Available ACPI\WEC0515\4&12F3D326&0 The drivers for this device are not installed.
    What device is this.

This are the usb device drivers installed:

Intel(R) 82801BA/BAM USB Universal Host Controller - 2442 PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_2442&SUBSYS_24428086&REV_05\3&13C0B0C5&0&FA
    Intel(R) 82801BA/BAM USB Universal Host Controller - 2444 PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_2444&SUBSYS_24428086&REV_05\3&13C0B0C5&0&FC
    Lexmark 1300 Series USBPRINT\LEXMARK_1300_SERIES\6&1A32C7AA&0&USB001
    NEC PCI to USB Enhanced Host Controller (B1) PCI\VEN_1033&DEV_00E0&SUBSYS_50041458&REV_02\4&3AB31F7F&0&3AF0
    NEC PCI to USB Open Host Controller PCI\VEN_1033&DEV_0035&SUBSYS_00351033&REV_41\4&3AB31F7F&0&38F0
    NEC PCI to USB Open Host Controller PCI\VEN_1033&DEV_0035&SUBSYS_00351033&REV_41\4&3AB31F7F&0&39F0
    USB Printing Support USB\VID_043D&PID_0108\20A028536026661
    USB Root Hub USB\ROOT_HUB\5&B27372C&0
    USB Root Hub USB\ROOT_HUB\5&2E28D989&0
    USB Root Hub USB\ROOT_HUB20\5&3850439E&0
    USB Root Hub USB\ROOT_HUB\4&9A3F73&0
    USB Root Hub USB\ROOT_HUB\4&21B6D192&0

Thanks in advance for your help,interest and patience.

10. 2009/03/31
    mattman

mattman Inactive Alumni

Did you install the Intel chipset drivers I linked to? They should update your ACPI and USB drivers. If the ACPI doesn't install, right-click on it and select Uninstall, then reboot.

Do standard anolog speakers work? You didn't answer if you have Creative icons. That may where you need to configure the speakers.

Yes, uninstall SP3, large companies are still running SP2 until they are sure SP3 is stable, just keep your Windows Updates going regularly. Get a good set of drivers and the speakers working, then you can try installing it again.

I think you will find Creative say
    The ones I saw that appeared to be yours were dated 2002. I suggest you get the Gigabyte ones. Go to Add or Remove Programs and uninstall any creative listing before installing the new ones.

Uninstall any Z-Cinema listing. Reinstall after you have installed the other drivers. If you don't have a manual for the speakers, open the CD disk with Windows Explorer (right-click, Explore) and look for a manual.

Matt