1. You are viewing our forum as a guest. For full access please Register. WindowsBBS.com is completely free, paid for by advertisers and donations.

Resolved USB scanner keeps turning off

Discussion in 'PC Hardware' started by psaulm119, 2016/11/27.

1. 2016/11/27
    psaulm119 Lifetime Subscription

psaulm119 Geek Member Thread Starter

I have a USB scanner (Epson V19) that has a single USB cord for power and transferring the images.

It will turn on and function after rebooting the computer. Problem is, when the computer goes to sleep, the scanner turns off. The "on" light on the scanner goes out, and if I try to scan (either with the Epson software, or Windows Fax and Scan), the desktop cannot ever "see" the scanner. I have to reboot, and then at some point in the rebooting process, the scanner light turns on, and all is well.

Now I have gone into the Device Manager (Windows 10 desktop) and set the USB hub devices to not turn off when the computer goes to sleep, but that doesn't solve the problem. I have reinstalled driver as well.

Is there anything else I can do on my own, before calling their tech support?

2. 2016/11/27
    retiredlearner

retiredlearner SuperGeek WindowsBBS Team Member

What Power Options are set?

3. to hide this advert.

4. 2016/11/27
    TonyT

TonyT SuperGeek Staff

What retiredlearner is getting at is:
    Power Options > Advanced settings > disable USB selective suspend

5. 2016/11/28
    psaulm119 Lifetime Subscription

psaulm119 Geek Member Thread Starter

That setting is enabled.

I think I posted here too soon. At some point after changing the USB settings in the Device Manager, I started seeing teh scanner start up when the computer was awakened from Sleep. I just thought those changes didn't do any good, because when the computer went to sleep, the scanner turned off. BUt I can turn it back on by waking the computer, so those USB hub setting changes that I made must have done it.

THanks anyways.