1. You are viewing our forum as a guest. For full access please Register. WindowsBBS.com is completely free, paid for by advertisers and donations.

Uninstall Quicktime?

Discussion in 'General Internet' started by Vicki, 2002/01/14.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. 2002/01/14
    Vicki

Vicki Well-Known Member Thread Starter

Hello to everyone (both new and returned members!)

I had downloaded Quicktime (V.5.0.2) some time ago (needed it to take a "tour" of a discount store) but have not used it since then and as I don't view movies, listen to music, etc. I am wondering if I can easily and safely remove/uninstall it? :(

I have also noticed that since installing Quicktime, it has replaced some of the little icon things (in a folder that I have saved with pictures, etc. in it) with different ones (I sometimes send little emoticons or other web-saved pictures in my e-mails). :mad: Would uninstalling/removing Quicktime bring them back to the way they were previously?

I have read somewhere that sometimes unistalling this program can cause further problems? But if anyone would be willing to "take me by the hand" to help me remove this program, it would be greatly appreciated! (or offering another solution that I might be able to comprehend!) :eek:

(oops...forgot to mention that I am using W98 in case that makes a difference!) :eek:

Thank you to any/all who offer their help! I sure am glad to see this board back up and running!!

Sincerely,
    Vicki

Last edited: 2002/01/14
  2. 2002/01/14
    Zander

Zander Geek Member Alumni

Hi Vicki
    It should be ok to uninstall it if that's what you want to do. I can't say for sure that it will put things back the way they were however. Probably not. If not, all you need to do to get your old associations back is click once on one of the files you want to open so that it is higlighted, then while holding down the shift key on the keyboard click on the same file again with the right mouse button. In the menu there will be an entry that says "open with ". Click on it and in the window that opens scroll through the list and choose the program you want to use to open it with. At the bottom of the window you will see a line that says "always use this program to open this type of file ". If you put a check mark in the box in front of it windows will always use the program you chose to open that type of file whenever you double click on a file of that type. If it were me I would uninstall it and if it creates any problems post back later and I or someone else will most likey be able to help you get things fixed. It seems to be quite an invasive program. I don't have it installed for that reason.
    I see you are from my neck of the woods. Been kinda nice around here for this time of the year, eh?

3. to hide this advert.

4. 2002/01/14
    Vicki

Vicki Well-Known Member Thread Starter

Thank you, Zander, for your quick response! I did "uninstall" Quicktime (using the start/settings/control panel/add-remove programs).

I have also done a quick check on those icons and they now appear as they previously did before installing Quicktime! Haven't actually used any of them yet so I will post back if I have any further problems.

Thanks again for helping me out!

Vicki

P.S. (To Zander) Yes, the weather has been wonderful--up until last night--when we received about 1-2 inches of that yucky white stuff! I enjoyed that when I was younger, but now....well, I just put up with it and wait for spring to get here! :)

Last edited: 2002/01/14
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.