1. You are viewing our forum as a guest. For full access please Register. WindowsBBS.com is completely free, paid for by advertisers and donations.

Undo changes to a SAVED image?

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by wakaka, 2007/11/11.

1. 2007/11/11
    wakaka

wakaka Inactive Thread Starter

I know this is probably not even possible. But a month ago I had been editing my photos and then I changed the size and possibly edited the image in general but I only remember changing the size I made it smaller than the original image and the problem I have is I saved it on the original. So now the original is 10x smaller. I want it back to it's original state. I did system restore but then I realized it probably counts as something you've saved so it doesn't work. So I wanted to know if it's possible to reverse changes you've made to an image you've saved already? Like make it go back to the original or is that not possible at all after it's saved? It's just a big deal because I've never done this before and I wanted to use the image for a picture frame but obviously if I blow it up now it'll look very pixelated. Anyway thanks, although it's probably not possible just wanted to ask anyway.

2. 2007/11/11
    sparrow

sparrow Inactive

You are correct; you can't restore a saved image (or any file) to a pre-existing state. Therefor, good practice dictates that when editing any file, graphic or otherwise, when it's in memory, i.e., called up in an editor, rename it before making any changes, and then save it to its new name, thus preserving the original.j File > save as is what I use.

Last edited: 2007/11/11

3. to hide this advert.

4. 2007/11/11
    Johanna

Johanna Inactive Alumni

Open the picture in your favorite graphics editor and make it 10X bigger. I like irfanview. It's free, functional and easy to use.
    Johanna

5. 2007/11/11
    surferdude2

surferdude2 Inactive

It's going to be a real surprise to see how grainy that pic will be when you blow it up 10X. I don't think you'll recognise your own mother under those circumstances! :)

6. 2007/11/12
    PeteC

PeteC SuperGeek Staff

It is possible to upsize a picture by resampling if an editing program like Photoshop is used or third party software such as SizeFixer or Genuine Fractals. The latter are expensive, but work with minimal quality loss and PS is very effective too if done right.

If you are using Photoshop post back and I will guide you through.

7. 2007/11/20
    wakaka

wakaka Inactive Thread Starter

Yes I'm using Adobe Photoshop 7.0 though so I dunno if much can be done.

8. 2007/11/21
    PeteC

PeteC SuperGeek Staff

Try this Action - attached.- (rename the FM ... file extension to .atn from txt).

Instructions as to how to load into Photoshop in the Instructions file.