1. You are viewing our forum as a guest. For full access please Register. WindowsBBS.com is completely free, paid for by advertisers and donations.

Resolved [Unable to use Restore function]

Discussion in 'Windows 10' started by lynn1102, 2017/07/23.

1. 2017/07/23
    lynn1102

lynn1102 Well-Known Member Thread Starter

I'm trying once again to restore my Win10 computer. All downloads fail at some point, so I am still working on version 1607.
    I am trying again to use the "restore". Since I can't get to it in the control panel, I am using the sign in screen. I hold the shift key and hit re-start at the same time. This brings me to a screen where I can click on restore and keep my stuff. I click on restore, the system re-boots and the first thing I see is a screen asking me to pick a keyboard layout from a list of about twelve. Problem is that my mouse at this point isn't working and I can't select a keyboard. I have tried all keyboard combinations but can't select any keyboard. I've been using the same keyboard for several years. If I reboot, it goes back to normal desktop. I did check the keyboard in control panel and all looks OK.
    How can I get past this keyboard screen?

2. 2017/07/23
    PhilfromWS

PhilfromWS New Member

Do the arrow keys on your keyboard work? Tab key?

Do you have a bootable DVD for Win 10?

3. to hide this advert.

4. 2017/07/23
    lynn1102

At that point in the start up, nothing works. No mouse, no tab key. I can't even do a re-boot from that screen. I have to go back to the computer to reboot. I do have the ISO file on disk and flash drive. I'll give that a shot.

As an aside: Two days ago, I manually installed update KB4025339 from the MS store. Message said it was installed. Rebooted computer and got the failed message. I have auto updates turned off. When I went to reboot a short time ago, box said update and restart. I check the installed files and the 5339 file was listed as installed, for the past two days. Rebooted and now it's gone. I think I have ghosts.

5. 2017/07/23
    retiredlearner

retiredlearner SuperGeek WindowsBBS Team Member

Are you trying through Settings > Update and Security > Recovery > and none of the options work?

6. 2017/07/23
    lynn1102

In my control panel, there is no "settings", There is no "update and security". There is a separate "recovery" icon. Clicking on "recovery" takes me to create a recovery drive if my system won't start or to system restore. There is, however, a link to "resetting the pc". When I click on that, I get a pop-up that says "class not registered".
    For me to get to the recovery info, (I have no start button), I have to use Start + L to get to the sign in screen. From here I have to hold down the shift key and hit restart. When it boots up there is a setting for recover. So far, so good. When I click on recover, save my files, it has to re-boot. When it comes back up, it always come up to that screen wanting me to pick a keyboard layout. It does come up pretty fast, so maybe the mouse or keyboard isn't loaded yet, but they don't do a thing.
    I tried using the Win 10 ISO disk, but it won't auto play. Have to work on that.
    I am gathering my programs and stuff if It gets to that point.

7. 2017/07/23
    retiredlearner

8. 2017/07/24
    lynn1102

Maybe I'm not being clear with what I have. My start button does not work. Using the Start + r keys takes me to the run command. From here I type control panel and it takes me there. I used to have an icon in there called settings - it's not there anymore since my other problems started. As of now, I'm on version 1607, so maybe my control panel is different than yours.
    I have been trying to re-install/upfste windows for weeks, but it always fails. This is my problem.

9. 2017/07/24
    retiredlearner

For clarity....You are obviously pressing the Windows + R keys.
    Once the Control Panel opens, how do you open any of the icons if your mouse is not active?
    Are you able to use the arrow keys to move around in Control Panel?
    To my knowledge there has not been a "Settings" icon in any Control Panel in W10 or Insider Preview.
    As I suggested in my last Post, I think your current install must be corrupted.

10. 2017/07/25
    lynn1102

Once the system loads to the desktop, the mouse and arrow keys are working again. Only when it loads to that keyboard screen is when it doesn't work.
    To say my system is corrupt I think is an understatement. In the past 12 hours, I have gotten 3 downloads of KB4025339, and each time the install failed.
    I am gathering all info on the programs I have installed before I have to go to a full reload of Windows. I do have all my important data backed up, but not the programs themselves. A few I can't even get anymore. Thanks for all the help and suggestions and patience.

11. 2017/07/27
    retiredlearner

Control Panel can be viewed in Large or Small icons or in Category mode. "Adjust your computer's settings" is the heading at top left of Control Panel. Never seen a Settings icon in alphabetical order.
    When my comps start - the mouse cursor shows at Login page - before Desktop! The reason I think your OS is corrupt.
    If you install a fresh copy of W10, the very latest updates will be installed immediately unless you stop them.
    I did a fresh install of my W10 Pro 64bit Insider Preview when the update did a wobbly. (right now it's installing build 16251.)
    I waited a couple of weeks to ensure a fresh build was available as the Insider builds come through at least 2 to 3 times a month. All sweet as.