1. You are viewing our forum as a guest. For full access please Register. WindowsBBS.com is completely free, paid for by advertisers and donations.

Resolved [Unable to sent talktalk email: Sending of message failed]

Discussion in 'Web Applications & Cloud' started by lancaster, 2011/11/11.

1. 2011/11/11
    lancaster

lancaster Inactive Thread Starter

I have not been able to send any email using talktalk for the last week. I can receive, but not send. I have checked my smpt setting and it is correct. I get this message instantly when I press send.
    "Sending of message failed.
    The message could not be sent because the connection to SMTP server smtp.talktalk.net was lost in the middle of the transaction. Try again or contact your network administrator. "
    I can use other providers, the problem is just with talktalk. I am unable to ring them at present. Any ideas would be most welcome.
    Using Windows 7 Home Premium

2. 2011/11/11
    wildfire

wildfire Getting Old

Sounds like a server problem, it's very likely you will have to ring them.

3. to hide this advert.

4. 2011/11/11
    lancaster

Thanks wildfire. That's something I cannot do for a few days. I was just hoping that someone else unfortunate enough to be using talktalk might have the same problem.

5. 2011/11/11
    wildfire

wildfire Getting Old

6. 2011/11/11
    lancaster

Thanks, but I tried that. As far as size is concerned I have gone down to a one word email which makes no difference. I'll just have to wait a couple of days and ring them. Thanks once again for your ideas.
    I won't mark this as resolved just yet.

7. 2011/11/11
    wildfire

wildfire Getting Old

The only other thing I can think of is you're not connected to the net via talktalk (your inability to call them right now supports this). Many (most) ISP's will not allow you to send when connected off their network, eg if you try to send an email through TalkTalk from a system connected to VirginMedia then it is likely to be rejected.

Is this a possible cause? If so you'll have to connect via TalkTalk, if not I have no further suggestions other than contact their support.

8. 2011/11/11
    fdamp

fdamp Well-Known Member

I sent a routine 2-line message to my sister Wednesday evening. She's on talktalk, and I have had 4 "transmission failed" messages so far. The last one, about an hour ago said they'd been trying for 38 hours.

9. 2011/11/14
    lancaster

Perhaps I did not make myself clear. I was staying with a relation who was BT and the room that I was in gave me a poor connection. What I could not understand was that I was able to send emails from my other email addresses (non talktalk) via my email/browser, SeaMonkey. I could receive talktalk emails, but not send them, even by setting up Outlook or Windows. The only way I could send was with mail2web.com
    However I am now home and things are back to normal with my router. Many thanks for you ideas. I think this can now be marked Resolved

10. 2011/11/14
    wildfire

wildfire Getting Old

Yep that ties in with what I was thinking. Most ISP's will allow you to collect your email from whatever network, their only concern is that the mail is delivered. However, many ISP will refuse to deliver an email sent by you unless you are connected via their network, the concern here is spammers, abuse of service etc.

Using webmail, providers (eg google) don't really care how you are connected as long as you've logged in.

lancaster likes this.