1. You are viewing our forum as a guest. For full access please Register. WindowsBBS.com is completely free, paid for by advertisers and donations.

Resolved Unable to boot Windows after PC repairs

Discussion in 'Windows 10' started by r.leale, 2018/02/17.

1. 2018/02/17
    r.leale Lifetime Subscription

r.leale Well-Known Member Thread Starter

I left the machine in sleep mode for approx 2 hours and when I returned it had shut down.
    Tried to restart the machine but it was completely dead and I couldn't even get to the BIOS.
    I assumed that the mother board had hit a problem so ordered a new one and decided to get a newer
    model of the processor, an AMD FX6100.
    The installation was straightforward with no problems but now I am unable to boot at all. The bios
    has found all the components correctly but says that there is no OS installed when I try a boot to the
    SSD which has Windows 10 installed.

1st Repair attempt.
    Boot from my Acronis repair disk, and ran the three command prompts. All three reported completion but
    an attempted reboot did not work, no OS found.

2nd Repair attempt.
    Boot from an Acronis System disk made from the installed OS.
    Got a windows logo and the running indicator and had a long wait for the Acronis screen where I chose
    the French keyboard and System Restore. SR ran, finalised, but had not restored, unspecified error.
    Error: 0x80070091.

3rd Repair attempt.
    Booted from an old Windows installation dvd. Managed to select the keyboard but then got a BSOD with
    Stops: 0x0000007B, 0xF78DA63C, 0x00000034. Missing File: \boot\bcd missing.

I would be grateful for any help with this problem and any MS web address where I could find the
    answers to the stop errors. It used to be easy but I can't find them now.

2. 2018/02/17
    Evan Omo

Evan Omo Computer Support Technician Staff

Hi r.leale. Did you try performing a clean install of Windows 10 using your installation DVD? On which screen during the installation wizard did you get the BSOD?

3. to hide this advert.

4. 2018/02/18

Bonjour Evan,

As I said, I had just selected the French keyboard when I got the BSOD.
    It is difficult to protect against a failure like this one, the only easy way that I can think of would be to have a duplicate OS already loaded onto a replacement SSD. I had a Windows system imagine on another installed hard disk, and a True Image clone on a usb plugged hard disk kept aside. I've had several major problems since starting on Windows in about '98 on various machines but nothing like this one!
    One thing that I will have to remember is that I should always have a Windows DVD to hand, which I don't at the moment and haven't had since Vista. My own fault for depending on downloaded ISO files which unfortunately I have stored on my unusable machine!
    I have now downloaded the ISO for Windows 10 to reinstall and I have to hope that the key for Windows 7 which was upgraded will work.
    Roger

5. 2018/02/19
    Evan Omo

Do you have any other peripherals plugged into the computer such as printers or external hard drives?

Did you try using the English keyboard and pressing Next to see if the computer will still show a BSOD?

6. 2018/02/20

No. I have no other peripherals plugged in and unfortunately no English keyboard was available.
    1. I did download the Windows ISO and burned a DVD ok. The first problem I had suspected would happen did - the Windows key
    from the 7 upgrade to 10 wasn't accepted as genuine. As the SSD had already reported a missing file \boot\bcd I decided to re-install Windows over the old one anyway and fix the key problem when it was up and running.
    2. Pressed the 'Install Now' button and Windows reported - 'We couldn't create a new partition or locate an existing one. For further
    info see the Setup Log file'. Obviously the SSD has suffered, probably during the mother board failure. I have a new one on order.
    Roger

7. 2018/02/20
    Evan Omo

I would replace the SSD and see if the Windows installation setup wizard recognizes the replacement SSD once it arrives.

8. 2018/02/25

The new SSD was recognised and Windows was installed OK. Cursed now with a very slow BIOS boot and OS startup which I am investigating.

9. 2018/02/25
    Evan Omo

Thanks for letting us know. :)

10. 2018/02/25
    retiredlearner

retiredlearner SuperGeek WindowsBBS Team Member

Try Run > msconfig > Boot > Timeout to zero.
    It will take a few Starts in W10 but it does speed up as the OS settles down.;)
    I generally have between 15 to 20 seconds from boot to Desktop.:)