1. You are viewing our forum as a guest. For full access please Register. WindowsBBS.com is completely free, paid for by advertisers and donations.

Ultra Fast Broadband just connected.

Discussion in 'General Discussions' started by retiredlearner, 2014/08/26.

1. 2014/08/26
    retiredlearner

retiredlearner SuperGeek WindowsBBS Team Member Thread Starter

Hi, just had the UFB (Fibre-Optic cable) installed today and it's a very interesting process to watch.
    They apply air pressure down the plastic tube and make sure the tube is clear - then the FO cable is blown through. Ours came from about 400 meters away from a service cabinet. No soldering of joints these days with glass cable. Filled in about 5 hours watching the process. Neil.

2. 2014/08/26
    hawk22

hawk22 Geek Member

Lucky you, I should have had mine in June 2013.

Unfortunately our NBN Technicians are out in the paddocks gracing with the Cows.
    hawk22

3. to hide this advert.

4. 2014/08/26
    retiredlearner

Hi Bill, I had a chat with the main man in this contract team who do the connections for Clear Vision. He and his mates are from the Philippines (The place where your Service calls are answered):eek: and he was doing the same work in Dubai for 3 years before coming to NZ 2 years ago.

The deal we have is that the Government want to get as many as possible using UFB - so the connection is free from the roadside to your Router.
    My new ISP supplies the Wireless Router (Free) on a 24 month contract ($75.00 per month for 80 Gigs plus Home phone).

I was amazed how thin the Glass Fibre is - like a hair - and the special device they use to fuse the glass fibre joins. Its like a medical procedure! They laid the main cables in our area 2 years ago and I thought I'd get connected to the faster Broadband while it was still free.
    You know the story - it will not be a free connection forever! and I figure it's a good selling point to have in the house. So we're keeping abreast of the Technology at the present time. :D Neil.

5. 2014/08/26
    James Martin

James Martin Geek Member

Still waiting on RST Fiber to offer service in this area. They have been busy laying fiber optic cable all over NC and parts of surrounding states the past few years.

6. 2014/08/26
    retiredlearner

James this is now very obvious that it's faster than what we had (copper wire). The telephone account got changed and set up this morning and I rang my daughter to test the phone and let her know we were up and running.
    The first thing she remarked was how clear the call was.
    I had trouble getting set up my HP wireless all in one printer so I totally uninstalled it and went to HP and followed the HP Find & Detect and Install Wizard.
    Man, were they quicker than previous Downloads - the whole setup to Test print was less than 5 minutes!
    I think I'll enjoy this UFB. My son has already expressed his jealousy - he's living in an area not yet trenched with the feeder cable. Neil.

7. 2014/08/27
    MrBill

MrBill SuperGeek WindowsBBS Team Member

I have seen them take a flash light and put it on the end of a fiber optic cable and then go about a mile and a half down the road and see the light.

8. 2014/08/27
    James Martin

James Martin Geek Member

That must be VoIP?

Even AT&T is switching over to that format according to a service tech that came to my house a while back, but I doubt that older copper-wired homes will be getting fiber optic cables as a replacement. Those homes will have fiber optics sent to a node in the area, but then the signal will travel over copper wires the rest of the way. The exception will be new home construction.

9. 2014/08/27
    lj50 Lifetime Subscription

lj50 SuperGeek WindowsBBS Team Member

James: Not according to Cablevision. Houses with copper wire are capable of fiber optic wiring. Maybe they're running it up the flag pole, but who knows. They'll probably tell you anything. We just dumped cablevision's phone service. Phone, Internet, and TV was raised from $181 a month to $210.81 a month.

lj50,
  10. 2014/08/27
    retiredlearner

James, the Fiber-Optic cable is connected inside my house to a special box (ONT) I think they called it. From there my Cat5 cable runs to the new Router (Fritz!Box Fon 7360) for WLAN.
    The normal phone jacks are used with the normal wiring for phones in the house and our main phone has a mobile unit which is 2.4GHz Wireless.

The signal from the UFB cabinet is 400 Metres from our house and as I understand from there the signal is conveyed via Microwave Towers back to base.

I am assuming that all UFB (fiber-optics) here are being laid underground in selected areas at the moment with the ultimate idea to eventually cover the whole Country.

People wishing to change over to UFB have to first enter their address and check that UFB is available in their area. We still have 'dead' areas around the Country where there is not full cellphone coverage and more Microwave Towers have to be installed for this to happen. Neil.

11. 2014/08/27
    James Martin

James Martin Geek Member

Good heavens. :eek:

RST's price for 1Gb will start at 60.00 per month, and a premium 100Gb connection will be 99.00 per month. I forgot the pricing for phone service, but I think it will be around 25.00 per month. Broadcast TV will be 19.00 per month.

RST Fiber will be using an ONT (Optical Network Terminal) to deliver a signal for TV, Internet, and telephone service, so it sounds like they will be running fiber cable to the home.