1. You are viewing our forum as a guest. For full access please Register. WindowsBBS.com is completely free, paid for by advertisers and donations.

Turn off the Start Tiles

Discussion in 'Legacy Windows' started by IvanH, 2011/12/23.

1. 2011/12/23
    IvanH

IvanH Well-Known Member Thread Starter

Can the tile mode be turned off?

When I click on the Start, I prefer the "normal" Start menu appearing from the lower-left corner as usual, while I have gadgets and other windows being seen. I don't need the whole screen occupied by tiles, like the Lotus Notes kind of things, even without the "sleep" button. I work quite frequently on the Start menu and the new Tile way like the blue screen of a set-top box suddenly reset. Maybe in the future there are some imaginative use of tiles but currently it makes me dizzy, every time I click Start.

2. 2011/12/23
    Admin.

Admin. Administrator Administrator Staff

Yes, as I explained in my review. See Page 3 below The Windows Desktop.

Andy1 and IvanH like this.

3. to hide this advert.

4. 2011/12/23
    IvanH

Thank you Arie!

I really feel the Metro UI a plastic surgery of Windows 7. While Windows 7 is Vista 2, then Windows 8 is Vista 3 to me.

5. 2011/12/23
    Admin.

Admin. Administrator Administrator Staff

No, it's all about tablets...

6. 2012/02/15
    Andy1

Andy1 Inactive

Hi Arie, this is an excellent write of Windows 8. I have been using it for about 5months and it is fantastic, I have been to a lot of sites trying to catch some but Windows Defender or the firewall are above and beyond anything thing I have ever tried. I believe that with Windows 8 we are about to witness the end of Spyware removal software. Andy1.

7. 2012/03/02
    IvanH

Update:
    When I use Windows 8 Developer Preview on single touch / mouse-based PC/notebook, I found the tiles very inconvenient. Not so now, when I installed the Windows 8 Consumer Preview on a MacBook Pro. The multi-touch ability makes tiles more tolerable.