1. You are viewing our forum as a guest. For full access please Register. WindowsBBS.com is completely free, paid for by advertisers and donations.

Resolved TS-H 653 R CD/DVD player suddenly not working in WIN10

Discussion in 'PC Hardware' started by frayedknotarts, 2018/01/25.

1. 2018/01/25
    frayedknotarts Lifetime Subscription

frayedknotarts Well-Known Member Thread Starter

Not sure if this should go here or WIN10 or Software....

Never used the unit in this computer since the WIN10 upgrade, so never noticed this before.

Device manager show it and says drivers are installed (Microsoft) and device is working normally, but when a DVD is inserted in "D", nothing shows at all in file manager.

I'm sure I used to know what the solution to this is, but I just can't remember things anymore.

Would this be a "remove and replace" job? (from control panel, that is...)

(Like Chief Dan George, "I used to have power...")

2. 2018/01/25
    retiredlearner

retiredlearner SuperGeek WindowsBBS Team Member

Hi frayedknotarts, Is this unit internal or external?
    If it is internal DVD player it should have the drivers installed when the upgrade was carried out.
    In Device Manager > DVD drives > Right click on the drive unit and uninstall.
    Shut down computer and then Restart to allow Windows to find unit and install drivers.
    Let's know if that helps.

3. to hide this advert.

4. 2018/01/26

On it, RL, and thanks!

5. 2018/01/26

No luck. Snuck up on Device Manager and smacked the DVD player outta the field, closed everything down, restarted the confuzer, it re-installed the (drivers?) whatever, DVD shows in the DM panel again, went to File Mangler, Drive D shows as visible, stuck a penny in the Old Man's mouth and, S'welp me, naught a thing happened other than the Drive (it IS an internal, forgot to confirm that) blinked at me repeatedly and the"exploration progress bar" (?) slowly crept across the top of the screen to no purpose I could ascertain.

Went investigating the Device under the DM panel and when I come to the "events" listing, I see the attached. (DVDProblem 001) This shows the DVD 'migrated' (??) in December and came back showing only CD drivers, or am I misreading this? Same applied when we just killed and re-generated the drive this AM... only shows CD drivers.

Attached Files:

6. 2018/01/26

Here's the drivers section: Thanks for looking at this!

Attached Files:

7. 2018/01/26
    retiredlearner

The secret might be it shows the unit is HP!
    You may be best having a look in HP's site for drivers for that DVD unit suitable for W10.
    Does W10 Troubleshooting help?
    Start > Settings > Update and Security > Troubleshoot.

8. 2018/02/01

Well, I downloaded drivers for that particular DVD/CD player/recorder and installed them.... no joy. I really haven't any other ideas on deck other than replacing the drive itself or trying an external drive instead of the internal drive.

This is just incredibly annoying.

9. 2018/02/01
    retiredlearner

A silly question - but do you have a Media player installed?
    I use VLC as Windows Media Player won't play DVD's. Download official VLC media player for Windows - VideoLAN
    Make sure you don't get any parasites installed - do the custom install if possible and UNcheck anything you don't want.

MS made a free DVD player for a while but it costs about $15.00 to buy from The Store currently. The 'free' period has expired I think.

10. 2018/02/01

I do have VideoLAN installed but do not have Microshaft's $(we-don't-care-you-have-to-pay-for-it-so-there!) Media Player. MP was the first thing I went looking for and I was florclottingly surprised to find it not on the confuzer and that you now had to buy it... may be a small thing, but it frosts me that what was included in WIN7 when I bought it now got clocked by MS on the upgrade to 10Pro. Frosts my Funicular, it do.

VLS has been an additive to play the occasional oddball format disc, but now it won't find/recognise/play discs for me.

This is gettin' annoying.... 'preciate you stickin' with me.

11. 2018/02/01
    retiredlearner

I can suggest you open Control Panel > Autoplay and have a look around and see if it's set up to play discs when you insert them.
    Or Settings > Devices > Autoplay.

12. 2018/02/02
    Christer

Christer Geek Member Staff

Is that true for any DVD? Even a non-media DVD, such as an installation DVD or even a DVD you burned yourself?

13. 2018/02/02

Well, I will be digitally switched. SumGum!

Media movies (RedBox or Netflix) will not play and are not recognized in drive D, either under File Mangler or VideoLAN.

DVD's I have made on another computer ARE recognized and play perfectly.

Did I not check something that affects the DRM on a "commercial" disk?

Should I just put the computer back in the box, return it and tell the clerk "I'm too dumb to run this thing?"

I mean, I'd still like to run "commercial movies" in this confuzer, but at least we got something working here.

I'm impressed!

14. 2018/02/02
    retiredlearner

Are your settings OK in Autoplay?
    Is the Region code set correctly?
    In VLC > Media > Open Disc > does it show "D" drive?
    are the settings to play DVD set?

15. 2018/02/03

I may come back to this later on or I just may junk the confuzer and go with a new(er) laptop for her, either way, we now have Drive "D" showing in VLC (lovely lads, they!), settings on Autoplay are "ON", Region code is set to "1" and it is set to play DVD, but it STILL won't recognize a "commercial" or "Rental Movie" disc.

A DVD disc of converted home movies and a very large collection of pictures I put onto a DVD play quite nicely in VLC>Media>Open Disc (shows title of DVD) and press play, but it's a extra learning step for SWMBO, always summat to be avoided, d'ye ken? Computer instruction usually all ends in tears there.

For the time being, I'll accept partitioning and claim a half-victory!

Thanks, lads! Good innings!