1. You are viewing our forum as a guest. For full access please Register. WindowsBBS.com is completely free, paid for by advertisers and donations.

Resolved Trying to identify second network

Discussion in 'Networking (Hardware & Software)' started by psaulm119, 2016/01/01.

1. 2016/01/01
    psaulm119 Lifetime Subscription

psaulm119 Geek Member Thread Starter

My desktop (Windows 7) is wired to my router. About once a day, I can't get online. There is the networking icon in the system tray, and the flag is clear (signifying that I am online), but when I open up a browser, I get an error page. I can't go anywhere online.

Strange thing--I've never seen this before--when I hover the cursor over the networking icon, I see TWO networks. One is the router that I am wired to; the second just says Identifying.... no network access.

My laptop is connected wirelessly to the same router, and I am able to surf online without a hitch.

Router is a brand new Linksys E1200.

What do I need to do here?

2. 2016/01/01
    Steve R Jones

Steve R Jones SuperGeek Staff

Look in device manager for the network adapter and disable the power management.

3. to hide this advert.

4. 2016/01/01
    elcajongunsfan Lifetime Subscriber

elcajongunsfan Well-Known Member

Next time you have no access, open a DOS box and type in "ipconfig" without the quotes and see what the status is. If it sez you have no media connected or words to that effect, replace the ethernet cable and/or plug into a different port on the back of the router.

5. 2016/01/01

Done. I'll post back, whether or not the problem is dealt with.

Having said that--is there another way to deal with the problem? Because the desktop is going to be kept on much of the day, I'd like it to go into sleep mode if it isn't being used, which is why I went in and made sure that this adapter could wake up the computer. Again--is there another way for me to deal with this problem?

6. 2016/02/16
    PeteC

PeteC SuperGeek Staff

7. 2016/02/16

The problem was resolved by doing Steve's solution.

THanks.