1. You are viewing our forum as a guest. For full access please Register. WindowsBBS.com is completely free, paid for by advertisers and donations.

Resolved Transfer Outlook Express emails to Outlook 2010 on Windows 10

Discussion in 'Microsoft Mail (Outlook / OE / Windows Mail)' started by PeteC, 2016/10/31.

1. 2016/10/31
    PeteC

PeteC SuperGeek Staff Thread Starter

I am setting up a new Windows 10 computer for a friend - his previous OS was Windows XP on another computer.

I have been trying to import his Outlook Express emails into Outlook 2010 without success. The Tutorial from MS is a little more than useless .....

Import your messages or account from Outlook Express to Outlook

One of the steps is....
    The file folder was placed on the Desktop
    This is complete nonsense as OE cannot be installed in Win 10. When the file Import/Export wizard is run in Outlook 2010 basically nothing happens - no Browse for Folder - zilch :(

Suggestions as to how to resolve this issue gratefully received.

2. 2016/10/31
    Evan Omo

Evan Omo Computer Support Technician Staff

Hi Pete. Exporting the Outlook Express data and then importing that data into Outlook 2010 is not a seamless experience.

You have two options though. One option that is free involves a kind of roundabout method but it should get the job done. It involves exporting the data from Outlook Express< installing Windows Live Mail and then importing and exporting the data from Windows Live Mail and then importing the Windows Live Mail data into Outlook 2010. See this tutorial for more information, Moving from Outlook Express to Outlook.

If that is too much of a PITA then the paid program Aid4Mail can get the job done which can be found here, DBX to PST Converter.

3. to hide this advert.

4. 2016/11/01
    PeteC

Thanks for that Evan - MS never makes anything simple and straightforward :(

After I posted the thread it did occur to me that installing Outlook (either 2007 or 2010 - I have access to both) on the XP computer, transferring the emails from OE into it and then copying the .pst file to the new computer should do the job - I regularly switch .pst files between my desktop and laptop and vice versa when I go away with the laptop so that I work with only one .pst file.

The few emails received on the new computer will of course be lost when switching to the .pst file from the XP computer, but these can be restored by forwarding them to my friend's gmail address and then back to Outlook.

Sounds like a plan?

Will be a few days before I can get over to my friend's house and try things out.

5. 2016/11/01
    TonyT

TonyT SuperGeek Staff

No messages lost this way:
    1. Config OE to leave messages on server.
    2. Check for new messages.
    3. Install Outlook on XP comp.
    4. Config Outlook to leave messages on server.
    5. Import OE messages.
    6. Setup Outlook on new comp.
    7. Use pst from XP comp.

6. 2016/11/01
    Steve R Jones

Steve R Jones SuperGeek Staff

Pete - there isn't a direct path from OE to Outlook without one of the apps like Evan mentioned. I'd kind of would like my 12 years worth of mail to have come over but never found a way. (i don't really need most of them...i'm just a pack rat)

Getting the address book over to Outlook works rather well.

7. 2016/11/01
    PeteC

Thanks for all the suggestions, guys - I have a few options to pursue as and when - will keep you posted.

8. 2016/11/01
    Evan Omo

Sounds good. Keep us posted with how everything goes. :)

9. 2016/11/04
    PeteC

Mission accomplished :D

Installed Outlook 2007 on old XP PC - exported OE mails to Outlook 2007 and copied the .pst file to the new computer and all working well.

10. 2016/11/04
    Evan Omo

Awesome. Glad you got it solved. :)