1. You are viewing our forum as a guest. For full access please Register. WindowsBBS.com is completely free, paid for by advertisers and donations.

Thunderbird slow sending mail

Discussion in 'Firefox, Thunderbird & SeaMonkey' started by KennyV1967, 2006/05/03.

1. 2006/05/03
    KennyV1967

KennyV1967 Inactive Thread Starter

I'm not sure if this is related directly to Thunderbird or if there is something going on with my SMTP outgoing mail servers.

When I send certain pieces of email, it takes upwards of 30 seconds before Thunderbird actually sends the email. The program hangs at "delivering mail." Some messages when replied to send right away with no hang time whatsoever. Most, however, take a long while before I receive verification the message was sent.

I contacted Adelphia about the SMTP servers but of course they say there is no problem. I use ZoneAlarm Pro but have the virus check set to off for outgoing messages. I see no other settings anywhere for outgoing email.

Does anyone have an idea why i'm getting this long delay before Thunderbird verifies the email message has been sent?

2. 2006/05/03
    Westside

Westside Inactive Alumni

You say "certain types of e-mail ". Do they have anything in common? Attachments? Size of attachment? I am scanning my outgoing mail with AVG, and if there is a multiple reply and/or attachment, it may take 5 sec., but 30 sec is something else.

3. to hide this advert.

4. 2006/05/04
    KennyV1967

Westside, the emails are just basic text emails with no attachments. Again, no virus scanning is enabled.

5. 2006/05/04
    Ramona

Ramona Geek Member Alumni

6. 2006/05/05
    Westside

Westside Inactive Alumni

It may be something other than the outgoing mail scanning. If what Ramona listed is not helping I would try to think if the problem came about with ZA Pro or not. I, always, have Outlook Express with one account, just for cases like this.
    And, I can't help going back to the original e-mail, which suggested that only certain types of e-mails were being sent slowly, but the response seemed to contradict that. Are all the e-mails, or only some affected? Is Adelphia requiring authentication? It may be at their end, no matter what they may be claiming (usually ignorance).

7. 2006/05/05
    KennyV1967

Ramona,

The AV outgoing mail scan is disabled in my AV program. There is nothing that I know of that scans or looks at any OUTGOING email from my system. I took a look at those links and the only thing I can see that may help would be a clean install. I'll do that next time an update comes our for T-bird.

Westside,

I've been using ZA Pro for a few years now and cannot recall if this all started then or not. This has been an ongoing problem, however, that I just kept blowing off asking for help with. It really got to me this past week while reporting spam emails. It took forever to send the mails out from my system.

No authetication from Adelphia. I did speak to a rep about this and of course there is nothing wrong with Adelphia's SMTP servers.

Some emails do send out right away. I notice nothing different about those compared to the ones which take a long time.

8. 2006/05/06
    Ramona

Kenny,

Can you recall having installed any extensions, themes, etc., around the time this problem began?

Also, do you delete the XUL.mfl file in your salted folder on a regular basis? I note that it grows quite large in a single session in TB 1.5.0.3.

Do you ever experience a timeout, where the mail isn't sent at all?

9. 2006/05/06
    KennyV1967

Ramona,

No, I use the default extension/theme with T-Bird.

Yes, I delete the xul.mfl file frequently. I don't think I recall ever having a timeout sending mail. I get timeouts once in a while checking mail.

I have no idea on this. Adelphia is pretty much useless. I'd hate to have to stop using T-Bird. I guess i'm just going to have to grin and bare it.

Thanks for the help!

10. 2006/05/07
    Ramona

Kenny,

The reason I asked about time outs is that Thunderbird 1.5 has a bug where the connection may occasionally or even consistently time out if you're using a dual core CPU. This may occur for IMAP, SMTP, and POP3 server connections. Take a look here if your PC is dual core: http://kb.mozillazine.org/Timeout_on_dual_core

This is grasping at straws I know, but worth mentioning... I'm certain you have checked and rechecked your Outgoing Mail Account Settings (SMTP) for Adelphia.