1. You are viewing our forum as a guest. For full access please Register. WindowsBBS.com is completely free, paid for by advertisers and donations.

thunderbird inbox.msf question

Discussion in 'Firefox, Thunderbird & SeaMonkey' started by rebecca, 2005/08/22.

1. 2005/08/22
    rebecca Contributing Member

rebecca Well-Known Member Thread Starter

Thunderbird recently started behaving a little oddly on my computer, and I've been researching solutions in the MozillaZine forums. Other people seem to have been experiencing the exact same problems (http://forums.mozillazine.org/viewtopic.php?t=307984), and the most frequently recommended solution appears to be to delete the inbox.msf file.
    My question is, will doing this result in the deletion of the emails presently in my inbox? I've backed up my profile and everything, but it seems to me if I were required to import it again, the corrupt msf file might accompany it. I gather that msf files are "rebuilt" whenever TB is restarted, so maybe the inbox.msf file isn't the same as my inbox file.
    I've posted this question in the MozillaZine forum as well, but thought I might get a quicker response here, if someone knows the answer offhand.
    Thanks!

2. 2005/08/22
    rebecca Contributing Member

rebecca Well-Known Member Thread Starter

Dug into my Thunderbird Profiles folder, and found separate Inbox and inbox.msf files, so I answered my own question. Should've tried that sooner, but I guess my brain wasn't fully awake at that early hour.
    Thanks anyway!

3. to hide this advert.

4. 2005/08/22
    Westside

Westside Inactive Alumni

Rebecca, you are all right! Your mail is in the file with no extention, while the headers are in the .msf file. Just like like NS4.x had .snm files.
    The problems with the .msf file has decreased significantly. In fact, I never had it with several profiles going. But, the correct way is to not copy or transfer the .msf files. I never do that.