1. You are viewing our forum as a guest. For full access please Register. WindowsBBS.com is completely free, paid for by advertisers and donations.

Resolved [Thunderbird error when writing/forwarding email: Couldn't load XPCOM]

Discussion in 'Firefox, Thunderbird & SeaMonkey' started by larsonjean, 2015/08/20.

1. 2015/08/20
    larsonjean

larsonjean Well-Known Member Thread Starter

Hi,

I have been having problems with Thunderbird and it started when I noticed that when I write or forward an email I get the message "Couldn't load XPCOM.

It really started when I noticed that when I try to send email I didn't have my add-on "Contacts Sidebar." I checked and found the version of Thunderbird was 38.2.0 so I must have updated it in the last day or so.

Well I missed my sidebar so I decided to backup my profile because I would uninstall Thunderbird and reinstall it again. When I went into the C:/Users/Jean, it doesn't open anymore but a widow pops up with "Open With" and I want to open it with my Windows program and there is no option for that.

In any case I decided just to uninstall Thunderbird again after removing the 38.2.0 and replacing it with Thunderbird 31.7.0. I thought that installing an older version of Thunderbird would fix things but I was wrong. All the errors are still there.

Now it seems as though Thunderbird on its own updated the version to 38.2.0.

I will deal without using the "Contacts Sidebar" but please help me be able to open Firefox again, also the "Jean" folder so I can back up my profile.

Also I really need to know how to load the XPCOM.

Thank you for your help Somewhere on your site I read to install Total System Care for $29.99 and I don't really want to do that unless it truly helps.

Thank you again.

Jean

2. 2015/08/20
    lj50 Lifetime Subscription

lj50 SuperGeek WindowsBBS Team Member

lj50,

3. to hide this advert.

4. 2015/08/20
    retiredlearner

retiredlearner SuperGeek WindowsBBS Team Member

Hi Jean, This appears to be a major glitch in TB.
    Go to Control Panel > Programs and Features > Right click on Mozilla TB > Uninstall.
    Close out and Restart your comp. Go to Mozilla website and download the latest version and install that. It should fix the problem.
    XPCOM is for Developers and you and I would not use it in our emails.
    Latest TB version is 38.2.0 and it's working fine in mine. Neil.

5. 2015/08/22
    larsonjean

Thanks for the help. I did uninstall both Thunderbird and Firefox. They seem to be working fine now except I do miss the Contacts Bar when writing a note.

But the only problem now that I am having is I really want to back up my complete profile and I can't open the folder.

To backup I usually went to:
    C:\Users\Jean\AppData\Roaming\Thunderbird\Profiles

Now I can open C:, then I open Users but when I try to open Jean, it tells me to "Choose the program you want to use to open file "

It gives me all the programs like Microsoft Word, iTunes, etc. but it doesn't suggest the windows folder that opens all the other files.

Hope you can help me with this problem.

Thanks,
    Jean

6. 2015/08/22
    retiredlearner

Hi Jean, Please remind me again about your OS. Neil.

7. 2015/08/23
    larsonjean

I am running Windows Vista Home Premium, 32 Bit Operating System.

8. 2015/08/23
    retiredlearner

With TB open > Go to Menu Icon (upper right) > Options > select/choose from there. Neil.

9. 2015/08/23
    larsonjean

I did go to TB and opened the Menu on the upper right, then went to Options but
    I didn't see anywhere where I select from there. Everything seems to be working OK now. I think I need help with another problem rather than Thunderbird. Maybe I need to go to a different help source. This is what I wrote last time:

But the only problem now that I am having is I really want to back up my complete profile and I can't open the folder.

To backup I usually went to:
    C:\Users\Jean\AppData\Roaming\Thunderbird\Profiles

Now I can open C:, then I open Users but when I try to open Jean, it tells me to "Choose the program you want to use to open file "

It gives me all the programs like Microsoft Word, iTunes, etc. but it doesn't suggest the windows folder that opens all the other files.

Hope you can help me with this problem or maybe I should post it in the Windows area.

Thank you.

10. 2015/08/23
    retiredlearner

11. 2015/08/23
    larsonjean

Hi Neil, Thanks for that website to backup a profile. I was able to go into it and backed up my Profile. Thanks for the great help. I will try to close this question.

12. 2015/08/24
    retiredlearner

You're welcome. I have found Mozilla Forums very helpful in the past. Neil.