1. You are viewing our forum as a guest. For full access please Register. WindowsBBS.com is completely free, paid for by advertisers and donations.

Thunderbird alert msg: "connection refused"

Discussion in 'Firefox, Thunderbird & SeaMonkey' started by Frank D, 2008/11/06.

1. 2008/11/06
    Frank D

Frank D Inactive Thread Starter

I've been using Thunderbird (2.0.0.17) for about two months, having switched from Outlook Express 6. I'm very happy with it except for one annoyance. I can't download any e-mail without first seeing the following "Alert" message after clicking on the "Get new messages" button:

"Could not connect to server localhost; the connection was refused. "

However, after I click on the OK button on the alert message my messages download just fine. So this is not a real problem, but it is an annoyance.

I've reviewed my account details, which were set up automatically by the Thunderbird installation, but I don't see any cause for difficulty (but I don't think I'd recognize it if I saw it).

Any suggestions? Thanks!

Frank D

Last edited: 2008/11/06
  2. 2008/11/07
    TonyT

TonyT SuperGeek Staff

3. to hide this advert.

4. 2008/11/07
    Frank D

As you suggested, TonyT, I reviewed that link, but I just don't see how the data there applies to my setup.

These are my server settings (they were set up automatically at installation):

Server type: POP Mail server
    Server name: localhost Port: 53100 Default: 110
    User name: (my e-mail address)
    Use secure connection: never
    Use secure authentication: (unchecked)

I tried changing "localhost" to the server address provided by my ISP, but that didn't work. Since everything is working OK (except for that error message), I don't want to "mess with success" and try random changes only to find that Thunderbird doesn't work anymore.

And then the question arises: Why does it first say it can't find the server, then after I click on OK in the alert message it goes ahead and downloads the mail normally? That part doesn't make sense.

As I said, this is an annoyance, not a show-stopper, so if you think it's more trouble than it's worth, I'll just live with it. Thanks!

Frank D

5. 2008/11/07
    Frank D

I just realized that I hadn't turned on my system specs.

I just turned them on but I don't see them in this post. :confused:

Last edited: 2008/11/07
  6. 2008/11/07
    TonyT

TonyT SuperGeek Staff

Well your av program could be at fault here.
    I don't use email scanning in an antivirus pgm, thus my incoming pop mail server settings are as such:

Server name: pop.x.x.net Port: 110
    Username: xxxxx

If your pop server is set to localhost then that means some other program is managing the pop email for you, likely an av program. If incoming email scanning is paused or disabled in your av pgm then the "connection" to localhost will fail, followed by a connection to the pop server.

Localhost = your computer, which is not the pop server. AV pgms use set localhost:port as a pop server because when using av mail scanning the mail is not coming to the client fro the pop server, the client (TB) gets the mail from the av program which "acts" as a pop server.

Where's the mail coming from, your isp? If so, which isp?

7. 2008/11/07
    Frank D

Hmm, good thought.

I don't either. I have AVG 8 free, but I turned the e-mail scanning off.

OK, I'll try turning mine to the default, as they were in Outlook Express, and see what happens.

Aha! That may be it.

Good insight. I'll try it and let you know.

Yes.

Time-Warner RoadRunner

Frank D

8. 2008/11/07
    Frank D

Thunderbird alert msg: "connection refused" <--Success!!

TonyT:

That did it!!! It works just as it should now.:D

It seems likely now that at the time I installed Thunderbird e-mail scanning was enabled (hence the strange server setting) and I disabled it only after the TB installation, which caused that server setting to not work anymore.

Without your suggestions I would never have got it to work.

Thank you very much!:) I appreciate your help.

Frank D

P.S. I finally noticed the link to system settings (at the left of the post).

Last edited: 2008/11/07
  9. 2008/11/08
    TonyT

TonyT SuperGeek Staff

Well done!

BTW, unless you are adept at recognizing viruses and malware, and you can readily restore an infected system using a drive image such as from Norton Ghost, I suggest using the incoming email virus scanner. Of course, there will be a big performance hit if use email scanners as all inbound mail traffic routes via the scanner before arriving at the client (TB).

Then again, good mail mgmt prevents viruses too:
    1. don't use vulnerable mail clients.
    2. don't open attachments from people you don't know.
    3. don't open attachements from people you do know unless you are expecting an attachment from them.

Remember, email is one form of communication and nothing vital can be lost forever by deleting an attachment. There's always the fax, phone, snail mail for vital data transfer.