1. You are viewing our forum as a guest. For full access please Register. WindowsBBS.com is completely free, paid for by advertisers and donations.

The Windows Update Icon is no longer in the Notification Area

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by Christer, 2015/08/20.

1. 2015/08/20
    Christer

Christer Geek Member Staff Thread Starter

Since "day one ", my system had the check box to "Always show all icons and notifications on the taskbar" selected. After installing KB3075851, the Windows Update Icon is no longer in the Notification Area. When I uncheck the box (in "Control Panel > Notification Area Icons ") and attempt to set it manually, there is a message telling that "the Icon is not activated" (not the exact words, my computer speaks Swedish).

As a side note, I download and install updates manually. The installation itself of KB3075851 doesn't mess with the Icon but after connecting to Windows Update, it has disappeared.

The attachment "KB3075851 installed" shows how "Control Panel > Notification Area Icons" looks after messing things up.

The attachment "KB3075851 uninstalled" shows how "Control Panel > Notification Area Icons" looks after uninstalling the update, rebooting followed by a renewed search for updates. It also looks like that prior to installing the update (since "day one ").

I never installed KB3065987. I assume it was optional and I never install those until I know that my system needs them.

Is there anybody out there who has made the same experience?

Does anyone know which the improvements are? I haven't noticed any ... :rolleyes: ... !

Attached Files:

2. 2015/08/20
    retiredlearner

retiredlearner SuperGeek WindowsBBS Team Member

Christer, I'm wondering whether because you manually download your updates, you may be missing some that are the keys that MS Update is looking for to verify your comp. Why not set to Auto and notify and have a good look at what comes up. Neil.

3. to hide this advert.

4. 2015/08/21
    Christer

Neil, I think You may be on the right track.

I have WU set to "notify but not download" which means that I don't miss any updates. I download manually and install manually. It happens that an update is still listed by WU, even though it has been installed. If I try to install again, the installer says that "it has already been installed ". If I let WU install it, nothing seems to get installed but it is no longer listed by WU.

It seems to me like the "installer package" used by WU, is different from the one distributed for manual download. A manual installation can be misidentified (is that a word?) by WU. The current issue is however different. It is a malfunction post installation but I'll try an installation via WU to see what happens.

5. 2015/08/21
    Christer

Installing through Windows Update rendered the same result but ... :confused: ... different.

As you can see in the attachment "KB3075851 through WU ", the contents of the "Control Panel > Notification Area Icons" is different. The WU icon is there but has dropped to the bottom. In addition to that, a "Windows Host Process" shows without an icon.

The notification area in the lower right corner of the screen is still lacking the WU icon.

Being a Ghost user, I can roll back to a previous state and will go back to June 2015 and "play" with the updates KB3065987 and KB3075851 to find out whether the former is neccesary. It has been removed from the WU listing but one never knows. Microsoft works in mysterious ways ... :rolleyes: ... or not. Maybe later today or another day.

Attached Files:

6. 2015/08/21
    retiredlearner

7. 2015/08/25
    Christer

Neil,

no, since this is a Windows 7 issue, I had not until you posted the link. Maybe I don't see it but I found no solution there but thanks anyway.

I have enjoyed restoring an image (created after the July batch of updates had been installed) several times and next, in order -

- installing KB3065987 (no longer offered through Windows Update but downloaded locally) with the same result

- installing KB3065987 + KB3075851 (both downloaded locally) with the same result

- installing KB3075851 from Windows Update (not downloaded locally) with the same result

No matter how these updates are installed ... :confused: ... after reconnecting to Windows Update, the WU-icon goes missing in the Notification Area.

See the attachment "KB3075851 through WU rollback july" which is after the final (?) attempt with a direct installation through Windows Update. What confuses me is the Windows Host Process that appears. What the "you-know-what "?

Since they seem to be reissued on a regular basis, I have not yet installed the optional updates KB2952664 and KB3035583 to prepare for transition to Windows 10. Maybe that's the reason?

Attached Files:

8. 2015/08/25
    retiredlearner

Christer I can't check back on my W7 HDD as I've done the W10 Upgrade on it.
    You can install the 2 updates and see if that does the trick and if not - you can uninstall them. Neil.

9. 2015/08/25
    PeteC

PeteC SuperGeek Staff

10. 2015/08/25
    Evan Omo

Evan Omo Computer Support Technician Staff

Hi Christer. I have installed all the Windows Updates on my system except for KB3035583 and haven't experienced the issue you are describing with the Windows Update icon.

Have you gone into your Windows Update settings and made sure the following checkboxes are selected? See below screenshot.

11. 2015/08/25
    Christer

Neil,

I'll try installing those two updates but it will be a day or two before I can get around to it.

Pete,

I searched the registry for a key but didn't find one. Well, I found one that handles the general behaviour but all other icons work fine so, I sat on my hands.

The icon works, kind of, since it appears after installing an update through Windows Update (not downloaded locally), telling that the installation was successful. Before installing KB3075851, it appeared notifying of new updates but no longer and that's the problem.

Evan,

see the attachment for my settings. It has worked before using "notify but not download" and I don't want the recommended updates "the same way ".

I will try to check the bottom-most box to see if it makes a difference. I don't think so since it handles software, not updates. (Edited: I tried but no luck.)

Guys, thanks for helping!

Attached Files:

12. 2015/08/25
    Christer

I hope to find out why a Windows Host Process ends up among the icons in "Control Panel > Notification Area Icons" (see the attachment in post #6). The only clue I have is that in TaskManager, when running Windows Update, "TrustedInstaller" runs initially but after a few minutes, an instance of "svchost.exe" takes over. It takes up to 20 minutes to complete and that's the speed of a horse drawn carriage ... :eek: ... right?

By the way, I'm not alone ... :p ... ! Going Google on the subject revealed three threads over at Windows Secrets discussing the same issue.

13. 2015/08/27
    Christer

Neil,

I installed KB3035583 and restarted (no prompt to do so but I did). It made no difference.

Next, I installed KB2952664 and after that, the "upgrade to W10 icon" appeared in the notification area but not the "WU icon ". Well, it appeared immediately after restarting to tell that the update was successful but went away.

The "Control Panel > Notification Area Icons" changed as can be seen in the attachment "After installing KB3035583 and KB2952664 ".

(I have not yet reserved my free copy of W10 since I intend to roll back to July 2015 using my trusted old Ghost 2003.)

Attached Files:

14. 2015/09/10
    Christer

Using Ghost, I rolled back the system to July 2015 which means that none of the updates KB3075851, KB3035583 or KB2952664 is installed.

The September batch (also including the August batch due to the roll back to July) did not offer the offending KB3075851 but KB3083324 which is labeled Windows Update Client for Windows 7 and Windows Server 2008 R2 September 2015.

It is said to not replace a previous update but as I mentioned, KB3075851 is no longer offered. No matter what, a new number but the same issue! I think that I will give up on these "updates to the Windows Update Client ".

15. 2015/09/10
    Evan Omo

Evan Omo Computer Support Technician Staff

16. 2015/09/10
    Christer

Thanks Evan!

If I find out what "good" those updates do, then I might reconsider and install the most recent one but for now, I won't.

17. 2015/09/26
    SlimShaggy

SlimShaggy New Member

If you are not planning to upgrade to Windows 10, you can disable OS Upgrade via policy. This will restore the usual Windows Update notifications. There are 2 ways you can do this.
    1. By editing the registry (see Step 2 in the following article: http://www.howtogeek.com/228551/how...-8-from-downloading-windows-10-automatically/).
    2. Using the Group Policy MMC snap-in: run gpedit.msc, expand Computer Configuration -> Administrative Templates -> Windows Components, select Windows Update Center and enable the "Turn off the upgrade to the latest version of Windows through Windows Update" policy.

18. 2015/09/27
    James Martin

James Martin Geek Member

19. 2015/09/28
    Christer

SlimShaggy,
    welcome to WindowsBBS!

Thanks for your suggestion but as I told in previous posts, I have rolled back my system and updates pertaining to "Windows 10 upgrade" or "Windows Update Client upgrade" are no longer installed. Problem not solved but circumvented.

James,
    thanks for your links to Windows Secrets. I myself found a few threads over there but havent been back since I circumvented the problem. It seems like they have come to the same conclusion, uninstall certain updates = circumvention.

20. 2015/09/28
    MarcoB

MarcoB Inactive

Christer,
    I have noticed this problem over a month ago not only on my home PC but also work PC and a friend's PC.

I follow the same protocol you do in regards to update, have windows notify me and then I choose.

I have tried roll backs and none seemed to help. Uninstalled a couple of updates and still nothing. Very odd problem.

21. 2015/09/28
    Christer

Hi MarcoB,
    welcome to WindowsBBS!

Uninstalling the offending updates should do the trick but obviously not in all cases. I managed to uninstall the updates and it worked for me.

I create an image (Ghost) of my system, once a month and usually have 6-8 to choose from before the oldest gets replaced by the newest. Restoring an image is like saying "oops" and going back in time to before fat fingers were active. I have done that to be sure that all traces are gone.

Which "roll back" do you use? Windows System Restore (or is it Destroy) never worked for me when I needed it. It is said to work better on Windows 7 than on Windows XP but I never tried it since buying Ghost.