1. You are viewing our forum as a guest. For full access please Register. WindowsBBS.com is completely free, paid for by advertisers and donations.

Resolved The server you are connected to is using a security certificate that could

Discussion in 'Microsoft Mail (Outlook / OE / Windows Mail)' started by gary7, 2013/03/21.

1. 2013/03/21
    gary7

gary7 Well-Known Member Thread Starter

I am using XP: Outlook 2003: ISP Comcast: Out of the blue my mail would not leave my outbox, I solved this by changing the SMPT outbox ports from 25 to 587 and 465. I have two email accounts, this was happening with both accounts, neither are comcast.

I have ticked the box "This server requires an encrypted connection (ssl)

Now whenever I open Outlook I get this:

"The server you are connected to is using a security certificate that could not be verified.

The certificate's CN name does not match the passed value.

Do you want to continue using this server? "

Once I click yes, everything works fine until I close out outlook and open it again.

It is becoming very annoying. Would deleting the accounts and recreating them be a good place to start?Or????

2. 2013/03/22
    Steve R Jones

Steve R Jones SuperGeek Staff

Who are the accounts with and or have you been to their web site and looked up the account settings to make sure you're using the right ones?

3. to hide this advert.

4. 2013/03/22
    gary7

I am using @msn for one and another privately owned one. Got the correct ports from MS site.

5. 2013/03/22
    Steve R Jones

Steve R Jones SuperGeek Staff

So... Is all well now?

Often times, companies like Comcast don't like you sending mail from their service...

If you still have issues sending, use Comcast's SMTP setting for the two accounts.

6. 2013/03/23
    gary7

I am already using CC smtp settings on one account. The other one will not work with CC's smtp settings. I can't send or receive when testing account settings, keep getting errors in settings.

I put the settings back to where they were on the account that I used CC's settings on, now email is back to like it, working fine except same as befor. Keep getting that warning

(The server you are connected to is using a security certificate that could not be verified.

The certificate's CN name does not match the passed value.

Do you want to continue using this server?)

when ever I open Outlook....

7. 2013/03/24
    TonyT

TonyT SuperGeek Staff

That security warning can be triggered by several things.

The first step to t-shoot it is to:

1. verify the account settings use the correct username, e.g. some accounts need only the username itself and some accounts require the full email address as the username.

2. Verify the time, date and time zone are set correctly in Windows.

Rista likes this.
  8. 2013/03/24
    gary7

Tried using just name for user name, checked settings, SMTP, POP ports etc..
    Time & zone is right.

All this started when I had to change my out going ports.

I do not use CC email, but got this off their forum where other users had problems, but could not find any like mine.

This all was in Nov. 2012 Heres a sample:

------------------------

"Dear Valued XFINITY Internet Customer,

Action Taken:
    On August 1, Comcast announced that we will no longer support the use of port 25 for sending email. Many older email clients (such as Outlook Express) default to using this port to send email. Please read this message to understand how this action may impact your ability to send email, and what you should do next.

Comcast Webmail Users:
    If you use a web browser to access Xfinity Connect or other webmail service, this action will not affect your ability to send or receive e-mail.

Email Program Users (Outlook Express, Outlook, MacMail, etc.
    If you use an email program, this action will disable your program's ability to send email until you change your email program settings to send email on port 465.

To protect your email security, click on the link for your current email software, then follow the step-by-step instructions to change your settings "

9. 2013/03/25
    Arie

Arie Administrator Administrator Staff

Please note you have to use smtp.comcast.net for Outgoing mail.

From your PC, you to http://www.digicert.com/help/

and enter this in the server address field: smtp.comcast.net:465

For me the certificate is correct:

Are you up-to-date with Windows Updates, including CA Root certificate updates?

Arie,
  10. 2013/03/26
    gary7

I am up to date with Windows up dates. Not sure about CA root cert up dates. I will try smtp.comcast.net for my out going mail. Ok I ckicked on to the link and got this: a green check mark: DNS resolves 'smtp.comcast.net' to 76.96.40.155

Then a red X: No certificates were found.

I am not using CC for any of my email, CC is just my ISP. I may be over my head in this, you comments are not being understood by me.
    Ouplook 2003 is is my email client. Server information is: incoming mail pop3.live.com out going mail is SMTP.live.com on my @msn acount.

The other account under server information in in coming mail server: (pop3) mail.mr2cents.com Out going SMTP mail.mr2cents.com

All accounts are working fine, I just get that cn value error when I first open Outlook. When I hit test account settings I get a reply from each one..

Last edited: 2013/03/27
  11. 2013/03/27
    Arie

So then you can't use Comcast smtp server.

SMTP.live.com does not have an SSL certificate.

mail.mr2cents.com has a certificate, but the name on it is

smtp.ipower.com seems to be working, try that instead of mail.mr2cents.com

12. 2013/03/27
    gary7

Ok, I have smtp.ipower.com instead of mail.mr2cents.com for my outgoing server. mail is working fine, but still get "The certificates cn name does not match the passed values "

Last edited: 2013/03/27
  13. 2013/03/28
    Arie

So then you'll have to learn to live with it.

14. 2013/03/28
    gary7

LOL, Thanks Arie, I appreciate you're replies, as I do the others...

15. 2013/03/31
    gary7

Got it. Went back to Outlook Express and changed the in/out mail ports until it was working there, then change the setting on Outlook 2003 bingo no more values not working warning. Ended up changing incoming port to 110, out going to 587