1. You are viewing our forum as a guest. For full access please Register. WindowsBBS.com is completely free, paid for by advertisers and donations.

Resolved "The server service is not started" when connecting to PC over network.

Discussion in 'Networking (Hardware & Software)' started by catsystems, 2008/12/18.

1. 2008/12/18
    catsystems

catsystems Inactive Thread Starter

Dear All,
    I have a laptop on Windows XP Home, I am having problems connecting to any computers over the network.
    The laptop is on the same workgroup name as the other computers and it is on the same IP range.
    If I go through my network places to entire network to my workgroup name then double click on any of the computers I get the following error,
    \\server is not accessible. You might not have the permission to use the network resource. Contact the administrator of this server to find out if you have access permissions.
    The Server service is not started.

This message is the same no matter which PC i try to connect to, its not just the server, the message "The Server service is not started" is happening on all of them.

Also if I goto Start -> Run and type in for example \\server\ I get the server box opening but its totally empty like its not finding any of the shares etc.

Just to add a spanner in the works, I have already got mapped drives connected to the server before this problem started occuring, these mapped drives still work perfectly and I can open files from them without errors or any problems.

If anyone could please shed some light on this problem for me as all I'm trying to do is connect to a shared printer on one of the PC's. (PS, I have tried \\PCNAME\Printersharename with no luck either. I get an "Incorrect Function" error message. :confused:

Thanks for your help, Mark

2. 2008/12/18
    Arie

Arie Administrator Administrator Staff

Arie,

3. to hide this advert.

4. 2008/12/19
    catsystems

Thanks for the link I'll give it a go, also, I did only post it on one of your forums?
    Thanks

5. 2008/12/19
    Admin.

Admin. Administrator Administrator Staff

You also posted on Expert Exchange

6. 2008/12/19
    catsystems

Oh right I didnt realise both sites were run by the same people, I thought I would be getting through to more people by posting on both, my mistake, I know for the future.
    Mark

7. 2008/12/19
    Arie

They aren't run by the same people. But the point is that we wouldn't know what advise you'll get on an other site, so we could be wasting our time in finding a solution for you.

We are all volunteers doing this in our "spare" time...

Let us know if the solution/suggestion worked for you.

Arie,
  8. 2008/12/22
    catsystems

Hi, No that solution didn't work. Any other ideas?

Thanks

9. 2008/12/22
    Arie

Check your Event logs for related error messages. To open Event Viewer, go to Start > Run and type eventvwr.msc, click OK.

Check your Application and System logs for errors.

You can double click on any error for more details, and there is also a button to copy the error to your clipboard for easy copying & pasting.

Arie,
  10. 2008/12/23
    catsystems

I have rebuilt the laptop now so didn't find a solution in the end. Thanks for your help.