1. You are viewing our forum as a guest. For full access please Register. WindowsBBS.com is completely free, paid for by advertisers and donations.

The Necessities of Life

Discussion in 'Introductions' started by Jennings, 2008/08/04.

1. 2008/08/04
    Jennings

Jennings Inactive Thread Starter

Can one live without the Internet or a PC in today's world and how many can escape the Windows o/s? I would love to use one of Linux o/s but sadly always encountered unsolvable problems and had, at each attempt, to return to Windows. I guess, after 10 years, I am hooked! Operating a PC requires knowledge, skill, persistence, and the patience of Job, and probably safety glass on the study's window! I have accumulated most of those traits (but not the safety glass) and my mind now needs defragging!

A little knowledge is, indeed, dangerous as my wife and some friends use me as their cheap (only do it for love) computer technician! Being a man of leisure (never admit to being retired as everyone thinks you are past it) I have become addicted to the Internet; I try to convince myself that I am not, that is until (for whatever reason) I am unable to access it then I suffer from DTs!

Economy is my major concern in today's world so anything that can be culled as a freebie then, I am game! Whether I become a paid subscriber will depend on the forum's value which only time and usage will prove so it is not out of the question.

Using and solving PC problems is neither a hobby nor interest nor do I have much of an aptitude but, I refuse to be beaten by a machine, and hence my delight at discovering this site!

Now, where is that list with those problems...?

PS Anyone know the reason for the space in this post or it it just my bad eyesight?

Last edited: 2008/08/04
  2. 2008/08/05
    Arie

Arie Administrator Administrator Staff

Hi,

Welcome to WindowsBBS! Hope you enjoy your stay & find some problems you can help other users with.

Not sure what you mean...

Arie,

3. to hide this advert.

4. 2008/08/05
    Jennings

Ah, I note that it is space for ads. Possibly I misunderstood the rules. Sure glad it was not my eyesight!

I picked up from one of the threads advice on improving the speed of the box on start-up. It was from Microsoft; cannot now recall its reference but I downloaded the program and am amazed at the improvement in speed so this is my first benefit from the site and much appreciated.

5. 2008/08/06
    Rockster2U

Rockster2U Geek Member

A leisurely Hello & Welcome ..........
    I like your attitude and look forward to your posts as I'm sure many others do.

;)

6. 2008/08/06
    docdoom

docdoom Inactive

welcome to the site, I know what you mean about family & friends that see you as a goto tech head to get their pc up and running again, all the stuff I had problems with I've seeked out a fix for them myself. No way was I gonna pay £1 per minute or more, to listen to someone try and make out they have an idea what they are doing. Learned that the hard way 8 years ago. lol

7. 2008/08/06
    Jennings

I subscribe to your sentiment DocDoom. Around 6 years ago I gained the assistance of a geezer who set himself up as an 'expert' but in the process of watching him (he had a very pleasant manner; a real nice guy) it became evident that, even with my limited knowledge, I had more savvy than he had. He later billed me for £180.00! Guess what? He did not get it! Later I learned that he was originally a bank manager who had served time for having 'sticky fingers'! He probably learned how to service PCs when inside! I did not hear from him again and I am glad to say that he did not empty his dustbin at my front door.